Sign in to follow this  

Vented number plates?

What is the point of using a vented front number plate on a water cooled bike? I could see using it on a air cooled bike but what is the point in them?

It probably doesn't have too much of an effect, but I believe the idea is to have more air circulating to the radiators while riding and cool them faster, but I'd imagine it's only a minuscule difference since radiators are completely exposed from the front anyways.

What is the point of using a vented front number plate on a water cooled bike? I could see using it on a air cooled bike but what is the point in them?

In my opinion, if they can sell it.... they will.

Thanks guys I'd seen a lot of pictures of bikes with them and wasn't really sure what they were for

I don't think the "engineers" of vented plates are well versed in the laws of aerodynamics and fluid dynamics. The holes in the vents are too small to let air pass easily at high speeds, and it's not ducted anyways, so you're cooling the neck of the frame. I'd like to see some hard data from a controlled experiment.

• Like 1

If like to see a plate with the sides vented in a way the funds the site to either side of the frame. Maybe like an air duct that extends down and towards the rads little bit

I'd be interested to see if someone had cooling issues (not mech related but think slow trail conditions)  if the vented plate helps. Doubt it though, unless the airflow is directed towards the radiator