Sign in to follow this  

Any 14 mechanicals out there to report?

I have heard of nothing until yesterday a popular local suspension guy and mechanic said he personally knows of a couple/few with impeller issues and shift shaft bearing issues. The impeller being no biggie but the ball bearings of shift shaft bearing destroying motors!!

My bike has been flawless but not many hours yet. Anyone else??

None here....two 14 YZ250Fs....both have 10-15 hours each.  

I heard this also. Heard it in March but didn't really say anything. This is from a well-known Yam guy in Cali (copy/paste)

If you think by buying a 2014 YZ250f you did good this year, well no... 2 major problem so far, water pump shaft snapping in half and this selector arm bearing breaking. I have seen 6 of these break this year on stock or mod bikes, which 4 of them needed full motor to be changed. I caught this one in time, usually it gets in pieces and runs thru everything. So check yours right away, very easy. Call if you need help.

I've bin having issues with the shift shaft having a lot of in and out sliding play, afraid it might be this bearing issue

why did you not say anything??!! It is ALWAYS good to get this stuff out there and corrected imho. I would like to know the check procedure as well!! Thanks.

why did you not say anything??!! It is ALWAYS good to get this stuff out there and corrected imho. I would like to know the check procedure as well!! Thanks.

Ya sorry about that. My friend brought it to my attention awhile back and showed me what yamaha1992 linked. I just didn't want to really post anything about it w/o personal experience. 

Yes it is really true. Just got off the phone with C4MX owner. Hopefully Yam will step up to the plate on these issues before too many motors are destroyed!! He is in Ca., and personally knew of 16 already!!

Yes it is really true. Just got off the phone with C4MX owner. Hopefully Yam will step up to the plate on these issues before too many motors are destroyed!! He is in Ca., and personally knew of 16 already!!

Is this only if they are raced hard? Or will us slow guys have to worry as well?

• Like 1

we ALL need to worry until yam either supplies the parts that don't break and grenade the motor, or does a recall.

wow this is interesting, and has me a bit concerned now.  Has anyone been in contact with Yamaha?  If not I wonder if someone should draft a letter and we all send someone at Yamaha a note with this.

• Like 2

wow this is interesting, and has me a bit concerned now.  Has anyone been in contact with Yamaha?  If not I wonder if someone should draft a letter and we all send someone at Yamaha a note with this.

I'm in on this idea, I would hope Yamaha would step up to plate if enough owner's send a letter. I'm curious to see what they (Yamaha) would do being that these are race motor's that are pushed to the limit's and beyond. This is not good for their reputation, our wallet, and our peace of mind.

• Like 1

I'm in on this idea, I would hope Yamaha would step up to plate if enough owner's send a letter. I'm curious to see what they (Yamaha) would do being that these are race motor's that are pushed to the limit's and beyond. This is not good for their reputation, our wallet, and our peace of mind.

How is there not a recall out yet if this problem is so disastrous? Any ideas?

• Like 1

How is there not a recall out yet if this problem is so disastrous? Any ideas?

I'll give a shout to my dealer tomorrow and find out if they know anything. If it's a serious problem, Yamaha will have to address it. This should get interesting.

• Like 1

Called my dealer today and they have not heard of this issue. They did tell me if I choose to bring the bike in that they will fix it if I just pay for the part's. Hmm, may take that offer.

Called my dealer today and they have not heard of this issue. They did tell me if I choose to bring the bike in that they will fix it if I just pay for the part's. Hmm, may take that offer.

How much are the parts??