Sign in to follow this  

Beta 125 rebuild advice needed

2008 Beta REV 125 cc 2 stroke. I'm pretty sure I cracked something in the cooling system due to insufficient antifreeze protection. I just replaced the water pump impeller with the bigger aluminum upgrade and replaced old magnesium clutch housing with an aluminum one. I also did the "clutch fix" (cleaned and polished the factory glue off the clutch friction plates). After new transmission oil and correct antifreeze it started on first kick, but could not get the drive train to engage. It's like it is stuck in neutral. No matter what gear I put it in, clutch lever in or out, low or high throttle--no go. The rear wheel rolls freely (chain drives the primary sprocket easily independently of gear box). I shut it down and noticed a milky color to the oil in the sight glass :(

So, I probably cracked something last winter. Going to get a compression test soon. What am I looking at having to do to get this thing running again? Any good resources out there for rebuild instructions would be appreciated.

Okay, I know more but still don't have all the answers. Any advice would be appreciated. I did a compression test (235 psi), so the rings and valves are probably good. I also drained the transmission oil and learned it is good. There is no antifreeze contamination; therefore, I don't think there is a freeze problem from last winter. Having removed the clutch cover to observe the plates working I can see that the rear wheel drives the gears properly. The rear wheel spins the clutch plates independently of the piston. It slips. The clutch hand lever does work; the pressure plate moves properly.

Do you think the clutch springs are tight enough? I did not use a torque wrench to tighten them. I had to guesstimate 10 Nm. Any ideas?

I would think that 235 for compression is good, I have never worked on a trials bike but they are a low compression engine to begin with, as far as the bolts for the clutch springs I have always tightened them without a proper torque wrench and never had a problem. If you are at or about 10nm I would think it's about right.