Sign in to follow this  

144 kit worth it? Advice please

As most of you know there aren't many classes for a 20 year old guy to ride a 125 in. My 2002 yz just needs a little more power so maybe I could pull a holy vs all the 250fs lol. Is the kit worth it? What all would I have to do/change? Or would I be better off to just save my money sell the 125 and get a 250f? Thanks for advice in advance

I would say the most logical answer is get a yz250 but if your set on the 144, go for it. Just plan on dialing in the jetting for it to take advantage of that power

I had a 2001 YZ 144 Eric Gorr built for me. That thing was a rocketship! If I raced MX, I would still own that thing. Will it pull holeshots against 250f's? Hmmmmmm...........maybe. But without a doubt, it will teach you to be a better rider!

• Like 2

Very minimal amount of grinding, yes. I just sent the whole thing to EG and had him do it. I got the Mo Betta porting option, which is the mid-range option, and that thing had enough low end to haul me around, and a mid-range/top end that just pulled, and pulled, and pulled!!!

Very minimal amount of grinding, yes. I just sent the whole thing to EG and had him do it. I got the Mo Betta porting option, which is the mid-range option, and that thing had enough low end to haul me around, and a mid-range/top end that just pulled, and pulled, and pulled!!!

i probably weigh 120 max lol I'm just in the middle of wanting more power and don't know if id be best to just save my money and get a new bike

As most of you know there aren't many classes for a 20 year old guy to ride a 125 in. My 2002 yz just needs a little more power so maybe I could pull a holy vs all the 250fs lol. Is the kit worth it? What all would I have to do/change? Or would I be better off to just save my money sell the 125 and get a 250f? Thanks for advice in advance

See if this link works...my recent 144 build.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1080737-hpbikes-yz144-build-and-review/?hl=%2Bbboyce#entry11536351

Have you considered off road racing?  There should be a series you can do in NC.  In a two hour hare scramble getting the hole shot is not very important.  Passing big fat 450s in the tight woods will give you great pleasure as well.  

Seriously though, when racing offroad in age groups, I have found that my overall results are always about the same, whether I'm riding a 125 smoker or a 250 smoker, which is a huge difference in power.

I would say the most logical answer is get a yz250 but if your set on the 144, go for it. Just plan on dialing in the jetting for it to take advantage of that power

It's either yz250f or the 144 kit yz250's v yz450's and yz144 vs yz250f's. that's the race rules. :thumbsup:  :ride:

It's either yz250f or the 144 kit yz250's v yz450's and yz144 vs yz250f's. that's the race rules. :thumbsup::ride:

yz250s can race yz250fs haha
  • Like 1