1996 XR600 slipping kick starter

I'm new to the XR world and dirt bikes. About two years ago I picked up a nice '96 XR600 in great shape. The previous owner added a lighting kit to make it street legal and I thought I'd use it to commute but ended up not needing it for that. I've installed a 200 watt stator, new Pirellis, a taller bar, an Aceribis desert tank and new grips. I hate to admit it but yesterday was the first time I've had it in the dirt and it was awesome. The only issue that it really has is a slipping kick starter. It only does it in one spot so I'm pretty sure the gear has a rounded or missing tooth. I'd like to try and fix it myself as it would save me a couple hundred in labor based on the Honda dealer's estimate. Anyone ever tackled this repair before? If so, I'd sure appreciate some guidance. Thank you.

They can do the odd graunch/slip at times..If you want to have a look at the mechanism first off the right footpeg and foot brake assembly need to come off the frame..Kickstart also. Then undo your bolts holding the cover on and remove it. When that cover comes off what you have to be careful of is a small metal collar and rubber 0-ring that fit between the actual mating surface of the cover and the oil pump will either fall out or be still stuck inside either the cover or the pump..What you don't want to do is lose that part..It has to go back in on reassembly. You can probably get away without draining the oil to do the job if you lean the bike way over towards the left..You will still get a mess so be prepared with rags or covers on the deck..Once the covers off the kick shaft etc can be eyeballed for damage. Getting the whole kicker assembly out isn't hard..I've semi forgotten the method but I'll have a look at

a manual and get back once you reply about being inside..If I don't I'm sure someone else will..May not be around tomorrow,,Got to go north for a bit of business..

Actually maybe the brake and footpeg don't need to be off on the disc brake model..Brake normally does

on the drum models,,not sure on the disc brake..Not 100% on the footpeg either..I may be thinking total

engine pull with it..I've also forgotten to say the bottom oil line banjo bolt on the clutch cover needs to be

removed..Don't lose the copper washers that are on either side of the bolt and fitting..

Edited by Horri

Thank you very much. I just got my hands on a Clymer manual and with that and some internet research coupled with your info, I'm comfortable giving this a go. The slip is constant about every 10 kicks so I know when's it's coming and can often gently pass it by. I'd just like to know for sure if I have an issue and take care of it now rather than when stuck out in BFE in the Idaho wilderness.

Thank you very much. I just got my hands on a Clymer manual and with that and some internet research coupled with your info, I'm comfortable giving this a go. The slip is constant about every 10 kicks so I know when's it's coming and can often gently pass it by. I'd just like to know for sure if I have an issue and take care of it now rather than when stuck out in BFE in the Idaho wilderness.

hey, would you mind keeping us posted on here as to what you find? Mine does the exact same thing. And I'm not mechanically inclined. Thank you sir.

Will do. I think I'll have to wait a few weeks until I have time. The more I research it and read the manual, the less concern I have about doing it.

+1 on the progress reports, mine is developing the same prob.

I've only just ditched the auto-decomp recently so it's d a hard life till she entered my stable. I've been putting a few clicks on her rounding up feral goats over the past couple of days (loads of fun :-P).

Finally, after two years I got the gumption up to address this issue. I made the assumption the the slipping was caused by a worn ratchet gear so I pulled the clutch and removed the kick start spindle.

I'm glad I dealt with this because I discovered that my clutch basket bushing was nearly seized to the basket. Ordered a new bushing to fix this problem along with new OEM friction plates since it was all apart anyway.  

Finding the ratchet gear was a challenge as it is no longer available. Luckily my local Honda dealer in Boise found one in New York State. $55 with shipping was a good price and I had it within a week. 

Prior to reassembly I also picked up the plastic collar that helps capture the recoil spring on the spindle. Reassembled everything, added oil and fired her up and went for a 15 mile desert ride to see how everything would perform. 

Happily, all went well and no more slipping kick starter!

Edited by roodog575
  • Like 1

Ha!! I'm not that bad. Luckily the bike just kept chugging along and I knew when the slipping point was coming. Glad it's done. 

Ha!! I'm not that bad. Luckily the bike just kept chugging along and I knew when the slipping point was coming. Glad it's done.