Sign in to follow this  

E -> SM Questions about sprockets and tires

I just picked up some SM wheels, and eager to get them on.

-Sprockets/Chain:  I have a 14/47 setup with a riveted chain. what can I run with my current chain?

-Tires, Looking for an 80/20 front tire. Similar to the D607 that is almost new on the rear. Avon Distanza, is there another option for the front?

-Side Stand, will it stand up on the dirt one?

-Zach

14/44 or 15/44 should work just fine with the E chain. 14/44 on the SM wheels will be very similar to 14/47 on your off road wheels. 15/41 is stock SM gearing, you will need a shorter chain to run this gearing though.

The bike will stand up straighter with the SM wheels and stock side stand. To the point where I would't let it sit anywhere that isn't either perfectly flat or slightly cambered to the left so the side stand sits lower and it leans over further.

Thank you, looks like i will have to buy a new rear sprocket. Which is easy!

Any other advice?

-Sprockets/Chain:  I have a 14/47 setup with a riveted chain. what can I run with my current chain?

-Tires, Looking for an 80/20 front tire. Similar to the D607 that is almost new on the rear. Avon Distanza, is there another option for the front?

-Zach

You can use pilot powers on 17" rims and lots of other different brand sticky rubber as well...I guess it would depend on where you mostly want to ride it...

To give you stock SM gearing you need 15/41 ....which is the same as 15/44 with an 18" rear...

• Like 1

-Zach

congrats ! 

try out 15/47 first, it will give you some highway speed, but not interstate comfort. you may need to move the rear wheel all the way forward depending on your chain length. 

for an 80/20, check out distanzias. 

sidestand, no issue. go have fun ! 

Sweet! I will try it out the 15/47 setup. I tried that on my dirt tires and it was ok, so it will work around town (and probably be a wheelie monster!) 

I can't seem to find a clip type link for my DID VM-X chain, I was hoping to remove the rivet link and just get a whole new chain setup for the sumo tires. 

Sweet! I will try it out the 15/47 setup. I tried that on my dirt tires and it was ok, so it will work around town (and probably be a wheelie monster!) 

I can't seem to find a clip type link for my DID VM-X chain, I was hoping to remove the rivet link and just get a whole new chain setup for the sumo tires. 

15/47 on the SM wheels/tires will be about equal to 14/47 on the dirt wheels/tires.

Avon Distanzia's are awesome tires.

Super grippy on the road. Good wear (from what I'm told).

Deep tread/siping for mild offroading.

Went riding around with guys on racing slicks and stockers last weekend.

Everyone was sliding around on the off-road stuff (grass, light mud, wet grass, loose dirt).

The Distanzia's had better grip and would chew through it all. No fuss. No unexpected sliding or slipping.

GREAT overall supermoto tire. Will definitely buy them again.

15/47 on the SM wheels/tires will be about equal to 14/47 on the dirt wheels/tires.

Were you the one that is running 15/40 on a SM set up?

If so how do you like it?  Been thinking about maybe getting a 39 rear but i love the stock gearing (15/41)  the set up that you are running might be a good middle ground between the 39-41,  just want to hear your feedback. 

Were you the one that is running 15/40 on a SM set up?

If so how do you like it?  Been thinking about maybe getting a 39 rear but i love the stock gearing (15/41)  the set up that you are running might be a good middle ground between the 39-41,  just want to hear your feedback. 

Yup that's me!

It basically feels the same as the stock gearing, pulls through the gears just as strong IMO. But drops the RPM's a little while cruising which is nice. Before I was at about 6,000RPM at 60mph in 5th gear and now I'm around 5,850RPM or so at 60mph.

Yup that's me!

It basically feels the same as the stock gearing, pulls through the gears just as strong IMO. But drops the RPM's a little while cruising which is nice. Before I was at about 6,000RPM at 60mph in 5th gear and now I'm around 5,850RPM or so at 60mph.

Gotcha,   thanks,  either way with this bike at 75mph the rpm's are gonna be imo,  just no way around it.