Sign in to follow this  

Trade my cr250r for a 400ex?

Okay so I've been wanting to trade my 250r for a quad again cause the bike is sketchy to me. I had the motor completely rebuilt top to bottom and I've maybe put 4-5 hours on it so far. Feel a lot better in a quad. But I don't want to trade for just any quad. I've had it on Craigslist for awhile saying I would only trade for a 450 quad. Since that's what I want. Had a 400ex in the past and want more power so a 450. But I got offer a on a built 400ex with a 440 big bore and a bunch of other stuff. ( picture will show everything the person has said it has) I know it's all up to me and the risk is all mine, but I just want some opinions on what you guys think. Is it a good trade? How are the 440? Are they reliable? Are the add ons good? And etc. just want to hear some opinions. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399947610.480400.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399947637.980811.jpg

Sounds like a piece of junk in need of a motor to me. The top end is not supposed to rattle, something is seriously wrong there and a rear hub replacement is a couple hundred bucks parts and labour. 

But yeah, top ends don't rattle. I've ran some pretty big cams in stuff and it never once rattled until it was ready to be rebuilt. I wouldn't do it, 440's tend to heat in the woods and they don't have 450 power. Sure they are more reliable but by the sounds of it, this one is junk. A well built 440ex is IMO a better trail bike then a 450 but not one that's ready to blow. Plus stage 3 hot cams will take away a ton of bottom end. I ran them, ended up going with Webcams and gained all my bottom end power back and then some with a nice hit up top too. 

Edited by leafsrule16

I agree. I don't buy bikes that are heavily modified to begin with.  The 400ex is a great trail bike and would be well worth the trade if in good condition.  400exs do get noisy and top end clicking is very common.  440s tend to run very hot, and have been known to rip head bolts out.  I would search for a stockish bike.  Then add a pipe filter and jets for a nice power boost.  A 42 pilot does wonders for this bike and almost eliminates having to use the choke.  148-150 main if you put a pipe and filter on and most people mod the air box lid with a 2.5" hole towards the back.  Being as your new to quads the suspension will probably be fine for you, although you can swap the front shocks from a 450r for more adjustability as the stockers only have preload, and can be a little rough even on the softest setting.  Plus I don't trust anyone who uses the word "thang" lol.