Sign in to follow this  

84 xl250r clutch is shot?

I just got this kinda crappy 1984 xl250. Its got dual carbs and they were dirty as hell and I cleaned them out and i started it up for the first time today. It went well ran good idle was a bit funky but ill work it out later. I tried to take it for a ride out of my garage and the thing just would not move. I adjusted the clutch cable so I felt it moving the clutch. Then I shut the bike off and put it in first gear. I could roll the bike with some resistance like the clutch springs were weak or something. Now I could feel the handle felt fine

I took the right case off and got a look at the clutch discs. Really, they didnt look that bad and the springs were really stiff. so I bolted the clutch basket with the springs back on, put the bike in 1st and tried to roll it again. This time it would not roll and it was trying to spin the engine like a bike with a good clutch would. Now I still didnt have the case on at this point but I wonder why when it was all together it acted like it had a crap clutch and now that all I did was take the basket off, take out the discs, put em back in and bolt it back on now it grabs again.

Does anyone know what might be up here. I don't know if I should buy a new clutch and put it back together or just put it back together as it is.

I can tell someone else had tried to take the case off before me because there were two case bolts missing and one of the banjo bolts was all gouged up from vise grips.

I just want to register this bike and ride it to school and work. I already bought some new parts that it could have used like a throttle cable, fork seals, and some other odds and ends. I forgot I had an account on this forum and I'll come on more often now.

Now im not really sure whats on the bottom of the clutch basket its got a gear and damper springs on it and i dont know if its a one way clutch or something and maybe its bad. I dont really know just a though. The last picture is of that piece.

Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0556.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

You never know what stupid things people have done to the bike.

Try to get it back to factory specs. You need a manual and a caliper. Harbor Freight has an inexpensive caliper for $10 to 20, depending on the sale. It is possible they put the plates back in using the wrong order. Wrong thicknes plates or the plates are warped. Warped plates can be checked by laying them on a sheet of glass. The thickness can be checked with a caliper.

Another issue can be notches in the fingers of The basket.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/sites/motorcyclecruiser.com/files/styles/medium_1x_/public/import/page_element_images/1010_crup_17_o%2Bins_and_outs_of_motorcycle_clutch%2B.jpg

The gear on the back of the basket meshes with the starter gear.  Wash plates with solvent and change oil. It is possible that automotive oil with friction additives was used by the previous owner.

It could definitely be the wrong oil.  This is why they have oils which are rated for wet clutches.  Get a gallon of Rotella 15w40 which has a bit of detergent in it. You should notice a difference right away.  Don't use a strong solvent like acetone.  Brush with mineral spirits or paint thinner briefly, dry with towel, and then soak the plates in oil. 

When installing new oem plates, soak in oil a few hours before assembly.  Some aftermarket plates are junk and only last a day, maybe.