Sign in to follow this  

Clutch on its last legs?

Hello all, after doing some surgery on my piggy and removing a chunk of choke plate of her piston I'm back to riding. I noticed that clutch doesn't start engaging till the last 1/4 of letting it out. this made for some awkward starts...

So I decided I'd tighten the linkage, to my surprise it won't even engage when tightened, made an "off" sound, like the clutch was brushing against something.

So now the clutch only works with no tension in the linkage. Looked around the forum for a while to see if there were any similar post but couldn't find any. Was wondering if my plates were shot, or even the springs? Doesn't seem to be slipping.

Would like to actually ride this pig instead of repairing it this summer. :ride:  :cry:

So when the clutch lever is hard against the bars and you let it out it doesn't engage till the last bit..

I'm not sure why you think that's bad..I surely don't want to be pulling the lever in all the way to the bars to get

it to engage. Having it engage just as you pull it in from not engaged is good. The lever on the motor. All you want

with it is the two nuts tightened up so the slack is out of the cable..the arm at this point should be hard to move

forward from that point with your hand,,In fact you shouldn't be able to move it further forward than that with your hand. I don't know if the plates are had it..just saying..Clutch perch lever on the bars engaging when it's all the way out is ideal..Stress your hand having it the opposite,,You want to be able to just pull it in a bit and the clutch is engaged/disengaged..

Engaged ..disengaged..confusion really..

Edited by Horri

Ok just trying to see if I'm going to need any parts in the near future. It seems like it only wants to grab the last 1/8 of letting the pull out, doesn't seem ideal to me. Maybe Ill fiddle with the linkages and see if I can get it to release a little more gradually. Thanks for the reply!

Loosen the cable so you have a little free play at the lever.......1/4 movement or a little less,you want a little play,,then if it doesn`t slip in high gear,ride the bugger..

B

Doesn't slip at all just seems like the lever on the tranny is all the way back and if I try to tighten the linkage ( at the tranny or bars) AT ALL, it doesn't grab. Am I going to have to tear the clutch out and check tolerances?

"the lever on the tranny is all the way back"

So the arm on the transmission is all the way back towards the rear of the bike or all the way forward to the front??

ie...the end of the lever where the cable attaches on the engine is towards the front a bit or back a bit more..A picture would

be good..

If the lever were all the way forward towards the front of the bike and you have no clutch then the fiber plates in the clutch

probably need doing. If the lever was a ways back towards the rear of the bike and you can't move it forward a little it indicates

to me that the plates are good. You may also need to replace some or all of the metal plates although in saying that I've

never replaced a metal plate in a clutch yet although mine could probably do with replacing. Newish fiber plates in mine but

the lever on the case is quite far forward..indicating somethings a bit worn.

I'm also kinda wondering if the p/o has the cup and long rod set up correctly inside the stator cover..I'm not sure the clutch

would even engage correctly if they were not in or orientated properly..

Edited by Horri

So you pull the clutch lever and the arm goes forward. And then it goes back ( back of the bike) with clutch lever out. Haha I guess I'm just going to ride it for a while and see if it gives up.