Sign in to follow this  

Need longer decompression cable: 1996 XR600R

On my XR6 I installed a CRF450X clutch perch, complete with the built in decomp lever. Unfortunately the XR600 cable is at least an inch too short and kills the bike anytime I turn the bars to full left lock; the cable stretches tight, thus engaging the decomp killing the engine. 

Does anyone know of another cable that is an inch or more longer that will work? 

No I don't Mike..Normally if I want a different length/longer cable than stock I take the cable in to my local m/c wrecker mate and he chops the end off pulls that inner out then fits the correct length inner wire and solders a few new ends on. Harley/chopper type build shops should be able to do that kind of work..It's easy if the guy has the ends, wire and solder pot. If I want a shorter cable it's even easier..I use a small brass ferral with a hole threaded half way through,,Center hole is drilled,,through that goes the cable,,side screw is screwed down onto the cable and there you have it...Locked in position..You get those sort of things from old radios and model shops..Used in setting up wire servos etc for model boats etc.

Edited by Horri

Wouldn't it be way to long??? Decomp on an XR is on the head,,A long way from the carb.,,well maybe not so far..may

do I suppose

What you really need is the wire (think laterally,,old bicycle cables) The things are in bins all over the world..I got an 

almost unused entire bike with the trick front suspension from a bin just the other day,,then these that fit the

eye fittings on the lever and the decomp arm,,Try a mower shop.

Once the screws are screwed home tight you chop the heads off..Screw in either side as opposed to just the one as in this pic.

If the wire stops are slightly too large for the fittings all you do is file them down a bit to suit the application..It's DIY as we

know it Jim. :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Wire-Stop-Round-Body-Throttle-Brake-Cable-Mini-Bike-/181077190696

Edited by Horri

Wouldn't it be way to long??? Decomp on an XR is on the head,,A long way from the carb.,,well maybe not so far..may

do I suppose

What you really need is the wire (think laterally,,old bicycle cables) The things are in bins all over the world..I got an 

almost unused entire bike with the trick front suspension from a bin just the other day,,then these that fit the

eye fittings on the lever and the decomp arm,,Try a mower shop.

Once the screws are screwed home tight you chop the heads off..Screw in either side as opposed to just the one as in this pic.

If the wire stops are slightly too large for the fittings all you do is file them down a bit to suit the application..It's DIY as we

know it Jim. :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Wire-Stop-Round-Body-Throttle-Brake-Cable-Mini-Bike-/181077190696

Yeh maybe will be. Motion Pro will make custom cables