Sign in to follow this  

Ran my raptor 350 out of oil! Please help!

So at the end of last summer I got a little too caught up in my new dirtbike and long story short neglect lead to my atv running out of oil. My friend was riding it when it stalled out and him, my cousin not knowing anything tried to start it up again. When I got there I immediately checked the oil and sure enough it was dry, chained it up and dragged it home. I filled it with oil and the machine actually turned on and stayed on, only thing was I kept hearing this clincking noise and im not sure if was from the top or bottom end. I filled it up with some oil and let it run through for a little bit and the clinking never stopped and after riding it slow for a little while it lost compression and I turned it off right away. If you have any ideas as to what happened or what I might need to rebuild would be really helpful, thanks.

Edited by Vincentp

Without pulling it completely apart, which you need to do anyway.  It is hard to help you.  If you lost comp you definitely roasted the rings.  Your lucky it didn't completely seize on  you.  Everything needs to be broken down and checked.  Crank bearings are probably farked, cam is probably farked. Nothing good comes from running an engine with no oil.  If its making noises something is definitely fubar.  I probably would just start sourcing another motor.

Yeah I thought about getting a whole new motor but I dint know where to look and I have no idea how much that would cost in comparison to rebuilding the one I have.

If you can do all the work yourself it will be cheaper to rebuild, but it can get expensive quick.  As you will need to have all the surfaces checked and machined.  You don't want to put everything back together and spin a bearing because your journals where damaged.  I believe your engine is the same as the warrior, so those can be had for pretty cheap and are plentiful.