Sign in to follow this  

Slipper clutch, how it works?

Can you guys explain to me how a slipper clutch works and what the advantages are?

What will I benefit from throwing a STM slipper clutch in my street legal kx250f?

Thanks

A slipper clutch will not allow the rear wheel to lock up because of a miss matched down shift. It basically allows the drivetrain to match the speed of the rear tire. Most jap street bikes have had them for 10 years or so.

You will benefit if you can't rev match your downshifts. My r6 didn't have one, and I never felt like I needed it. Just practice your downshifting.

Just a little helpful hint....a locked rear tire on the street spells certain disaster. Its nothing like dirt where many times you want to lock the rear.

Edited by 97wr250

Sound like it could be worth the investment

I would never spend 1200 bucks on a new one for this bike, but for a used STM slipper for 300, it might be worth it

Street bikes have taller gearing and are less likely to chatter or hop on downshifts.  The slipper would definitely be nice for a KX250f on the street.

That's kind of what I'm thinking, even if I don't like it I don't think I would lose much, if any at all.

You have a great point, it is an Mx bike and with such a close ratio tranny , I won't see how I wouldn't benefit from it

Don't know if you've ever had a street bike, but crotch rockets have very tight ratio transmissions as well. It was never worth the money to add one to my bike because I am very capable of rev matching. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to having one if it came stock.

I'm against anything that aids a drivers' skill set.  Like on cars..... I don't want power anything.  No powersteering, powerbrake, power windows, power mirrors, cruise control, abs, cupholders, airbags, a/c, limited slip differential, etc.

I'm a bare bones kinda guy.  Just give me a motor and a chassis.... I'll do the rest with my incredibly talented skills. 

Edited by Honda_Power

Don't think a slipper is worth it for the avg joe on a 250f,  just doesn't have the compression to lock the rear up when you chop the throttle closed like a 450 does.

I'm against anything that aids a drivers' skill set. Like on cars..... I don't want power anything. No powersteering, powerbrake, power windows, power mirrors, cruise control, abs, cupholders, airbags, a/c, limited slip differential, etc.

I'm a bare bones kinda guy. Just give me a motor and a chassis.... I'll do the rest with my incredibly talented skills.

Shows how little you know....a limited slip diff is one of the best things for a car. Many different means of doing so as well. Clutch, helical, viscous, locker, torsen. Each has a place and a purpose.

For example. My ae86 corolla has a 2 way clutch type lsd. It allows MUCH better traction exiting corners upon acceleration, but also stabilizes the car under braking into a corner. Completely changes the feel and dynamics of any chassis.

• Like 1

I'm against anything that aids a drivers' skill set.  Like on cars..... I don't want power anything.  No powersteering, powerbrake, power windows, power mirrors, cruise control, abs, cupholders, airbags, a/c, limited slip differential, etc.

I'm a bare bones kinda guy.  Just give me a motor and a chassis.... I'll do the rest with my incredibly talented skills. 

Enjoy your stripper. I'll wave at you as I'm passing you in comfort in the 'Vette, with all those things.

• Like 2