Sign in to follow this  

New guy saying hi, kinda long winded

Just joined the forums as I have recently purchased a 99 xr400.  It's my second 4, the first was a 96 I sold in 01 (always regretted).  I saw one come up on the local cl, went something like "99 xr400 runs good, the price and ph#"  I went to check it out and had some goodies on it: works connection frame and skid plates, white bros r4 exhaust (factory headers), xr's only case saver and chain guide, moose bars, chain, disc fin, and rear fender tool pouch, endurance trip comp, a k&n filter, and apparently an re-wound stator.  I ended up getting it for 1200.  Did some stuff to it like reskin the seat and some c/f decals for the airbox sides and regular maintenance like plug, oil, etc.  Went to fire it up and there was some bad popping out the exhaust, wouldn't hold idle.  Adjusted valves, took carb apart and cleaned it, moved the needle clip to the 4th position.  Fired up and idled good, seemed very snappy, no bog or anything like that when I wrapped the thottle. Decided to go for a ride and about 2 miles in the sucker died when I came to a stop.  Got it fired up and back home.  Tore the carb apart again and cleaned it thinking something broke loose on my initial cleaning and moved the needle back to 3, adjusted the float level to within spec, it was way off on the plus side.  Seems to run good now, rode it for bout 25 miles in the woods and no problems, if anything I hear micro pops on deceleration (almost indistinguishable) and the idle dips kinda low after revving high when returning back to idle, like when pulling the clutch in when coming to a sudden stop...and there is more off idle bog than before, not super noticeable tho.  So overall I'm happy but am going to do a few things.  When I pulled the carb apart I noticed it had a 160 main and a 52 pilot (could the pilot be causing the idle drop and off idle bog with my setup?) so from what I read a 160/60 seems to work well (I'm running at 1000-3500k above sea level but mostly pocketed in 1500), any thoughts?  Also, the guy told me that the stator was rewound from the previous owner for running at night with Baja style lights.  It's seems I have two extra white wires coming from my stator out the harness.  They go nowhere, but look like they have the factory style bullet connectors, and they are bundled with a green and purple 10" open ended pigtail on both sides...any idea what these are for? I'll put some pics up when I get a chance...and I gotta say for a 36 year old dude it feels GREAT getting back in the saddle of a 4, that was the best 25 miles I've had in years!!! D 

You scored on that bike. I have no real answers or advice....but only saying welcome  :cheers: and yeah....I love my XR as well! I talked a buddy into getting one as well. He had been out of dirt bikes for about 20 years and he said he wanted something reliable, low-maintenance, and fun to ride. We are about the same size as well. He scored a '98 with all kinds of mods for $1000. Enjoy the ride. :ride:

You're running a little lean. Adjust your fuel or air screw accordingly to richen up the mixture. Do that until you dont hear the popping on deceleration. Running too lean makes the bike run hot and thats not really that good.  Better to be too rich than lean. If you have an air screw turn it in, if you have a fuel screw turn it out, im not really sure what you have there. And put the needle back to the stock position and dont change the jets, see if that works first.

Edited by bran1har

Partially clogged or a little to small of a pilot jet is what it sounds like. They are cheap, get a couple new ones in sizes up from what you have like a 55, 58 and a 60. For now you can try turning the fuel screw out a little and see if that helps the pop.

Sounds like you have a Ricky Stator 200W unit. They have 2 outputs of 100W each or you can use jumpers to make a single output of 200W. Sounds like you have a single of 200W set up. Do the lights all work?

Edited by michigan400

A White Bros exhaust, a K&N air filter and 1500' elevation makes that 52 too lean. I think I'd go up to at least a 58.

Another suggestion is to scrap that K&N filter if you're doing anything other than street riding. Put a UNI foam filter on it.

Don't go more than 3 turns out on the fuel screw. If it takes upwards of 3 turns out to get good throttle response and prevent popping, the pilot is definitely too lean.

Don't run a super low idle speed.

Its hard to completely eliminate all off idle bog when whacking the throttle open off idle.

And one other suggestion on forum posting. To keep your posts from seeming so long winded, try not to post everything in one long paragraph. Space out each separate question or thought. Helps readers pick out details when referencing your post for answering.

Edited by Trailryder42

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.  I ended up picking up a 58 and 60 and decided to put the 60 in.  In the process of taking stuff apart I wanted to check out my headers for that overweld problem.  Sure enough...

DSC05145.jpg

Here is what I measured as the smallest diameter in the pipe...

DSC05149.jpg

Here it is after cleaning it up....

DSC05144.jpg

And the new measurement...

DSC05147.jpg

So by my calculations I increased the area by 26%.  While I had the carb off I softened up the inside lip on the intake side too, not that it's gonna make a huge diff but some of the casting was protruding inward.  

So here is the plug, definitely running lean...

DSC05151.jpg

This and porting the headers was the deciding factor for the 60 jet.  At this point the pilot screw is 2 turns out.  Haven't had a chance to check those white wires for voltage but the lights do work, just off the factory harness.

So it's all back together, here are some pics...

DSC05153.jpg

DSC05152.jpg

2a7ec979-e960-4074-b210-2d54d578c57f.jpg

Got to do some work now before I play but I'll post the results when I get a chance to ride.  Thanks again....D 

Nice bike bro. Looks a lot like your old one, I like the black better I think. You been riding at the homestead or Johns Peak? Also...Thanks for turning me on to this forum, pretty damn cool. :)

Hey Ryan...haven't made it up to the old stomping grounds yet, CADing a pup trailer to haul bike with the Civic so I can tho :)  

Did some more riding with the 160/60 setup, bout 30 more miles.  Pulled plug, it was a few shades darker but still lean looking.  Based on how I ride I think I'm leaning out during acceleration, I don't really trail ride or idle (cept when I'm crossing a road or admiring the views), it's more like hare scrambles.  Fast as possible into the corners, pull clutch, downshift, fast as possible out of the corners, hard accel to next corner, repeat process.  Thinking I need to move the needle in the 4th clip.  Also, seem to have a little "bog" (as opposed to the snappiness of the 52/160 needle 4th clip setup) but deceleration sounds better.  So gonna move needle, ride and check plug again.  I'll post the results when I can....Thanks...D