Sign in to follow this  

XL185S ran great, then died as pulling into parking lot.

So I took my bike for a 20 mile ride the other day, and it ran great the whole trip. No problems at all. The next day I was riding to work and about 5 mins after riding it, it started to hesitate and 1 mile later, as I pulled into the parking lot of my job, it died when I held in the clutch. Parked it while at work. No smoke or funny smells. After work, I tried to start it and it would not. With full choke and giving it a decent amount of throttle, I was able to get it to run for 2 seconds, but It still died. So I took it home on my trailer the next morning. I took apart the carb and found that the choke valve fell out and landed in the air filter (the screws were not to be found, prob not a good sign  :( ) I soaked the carb and jets in cleaner for a full day. Cleaned everything and dried it before putting back on, cleaned the air filter, checked the gap on the spark plug (was totally closed), and replaced the fuel filter. Put everything back, and it will not start at all. I don't know what to check next.

Yea, if you havent found those screws yet, take the head off imediatly. If your lucky, its still in your intake. But if they are small enough, the couldve gone through the intake valve and are sitting on the piston. Take the spark plug out and stick a magnet in the chamber and see it theres and screws that you can pull out. If not, they could be jammed in your valves

Yea, if you havent found those screws yet, take the head off imediatly. If your lucky, its still in your intake. But if they are small enough, the couldve gone through the intake valve and are sitting on the piston. Take the spark plug out and stick a magnet in the chamber and see it theres and screws that you can pull out. If not, they could be jammed in your valves

This exactly, keeping that little motor humming along buzzed out those screws. Once you get the motor repaired, locktite those screws. This is not an uncommon thing. Just sucks when it happens to you!