Sign in to follow this  

Baja Designs Dual Sport Kit for Honda XR200R/XR500

Finally left Kalifornia a couple years ago and Green Stickers are up. My truck and dual sport DRS350 Suzuki are registered on South Dakota. I would like to make my 1980 XR500 Honda/1982 XR200R and 1985 Husky XC500 street legal in South Dakota. I heard it was easy and I have South Dakota address and driver's license. What I want to know has any one put a Baja designs dual sport kit on any of these bikes? If you did what tips/problems etc, did you have to convey to an inquiring mind?

BD kits are great. Easy peasy and plug and play. Doens't get any better. 

Check your states requirements, you may not need everything depending. 

It does get better, alot better. BD doesn't provide a speedo, which I think is kind of important and they're missing mirrors and front brake light switch - required in PA.

I did my wife's TT-R225 with mirrors, speedo and switches for less than Baja Designs without those two years ago. That includes the cost of shipping many items separately. There's no reason BD's kits can't include everything you need other than they want a bigger profit margin.

Here's the parts I used: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiTtyyV3FSykdGU5Y2l0clhlWTIxYXFZT0daQ0Q3NEE&usp=sharing

Gee you buy the parts ala carte and figure it out yourself for less $ than buying a kit from BD??????

Go figure! :)

You probably spent more time researching and creating (not even shopping FOR) that LIST OF PARTS than I spent ordering the kit AND INSTALLING IT!!!

Now if I could do it all, painlessly. And quickly. I would go your way.

But I can't and time is money, so to me, give me plug and play for an extra $100.

NO kit comes with a speedo. Bikes come with speedos, not dual sport kits.

Mirrors requirements are different in every state.

I've had 3 different dual sport kits and none of them included mirrors OR a front brake switch.

LIke a little cheese with that?

Edited by MindBlower

So you're saying you're willing to overpay by $250 (because the kit costs $100 more than an Ala Carte solution, and a speedo is another $100 and $25 for mirrors and switches each) rather than spend 30 minutes on eBay? That's cool, I like my money and creativity, and I like to share with others my creativity. Now that the OP has a list, he should be able to find and buy everything in 25 minutes and save $250. I'm sure he appreciates it. Even if he doesn't someone else will.

Baja Designs appreciates your overpaying by at least $100 and still not getting everything you need to make your bike safe. That's what irritates me the most that their "complete" kit is lacking so many items which makes riding safer, like brake light switches and mirrors. Hence, I let people know they have alternatives.

Edited by Smacaroni

Not a problem in the world.

I respect your right to do it yourself.

I think you ignore lots of little details about the advantages of the kit (Factory matching plugs is pretty damn nice) but that's aside.

Or those pesky wiring harness changes that again, are unplug the stocker, plug in the new hardness.

Far as I can figure: You STILL had to pay for a speedo and mirrors YOUR way, so not sure why you list those costs as BD costs but WHAT THE HECK!!

So yep he can save a little money (not close to 250) and he can figure out the wiring (hopefully), do the cutting and soldering and splicing, (not problems down the road there), etc.

Lets hope HE has the knowledge needed. :)

Fact is: the OP asked about the BD kit. I answered.

As ALL businesses survive ONLY by making a profit, I don't resent BD making a bit.

After all they dual sporting the bike a plug and play process that takes an hour instead of spending hours creating lists of parts needed. Shipping and/or driving to NUMEROUS different sources and waiting till they ALL come in. And then hours (maybe many hours if you aren't handy with wiring) installing. ;)

Edited by MindBlower

PS - If he wants 1/2 way between these 2 solutions. Rocky Mountain sells their Tusk brand kit for less than $200. You still need a DOT headlight with that and you have to figure out much more of the wiring, stator, etc connections and swap their plugs ends or the factory ends as they don't match.

I've done 2 of these and they work fine but it's a lot more figuring things out versus plug and play. You can still spend a few hours with a tester trying to figure out why this wire isn't hot.

\ But less than just winging it. FWIW

PS - But the next will be another BD kit as they are worth the money IMO for their knowledge and the ease of the install.w (ive done 3 BD kits)

Not a problem in the world.

I respect your right to do it yourself.

I think you ignore lots of little details about the advantages of the kit (Factory matching plugs is pretty damn nice) but that's aside.

Or those pesky wiring harness changes that again, are unplug the stocker, plug in the new hardness.

Far as I can figure: You STILL had to pay for a speedo and mirrors YOUR way, so not sure why you list those costs as BD costs but WHAT THE HECK!!

So yep he can save a little money (not close to 250) and he can figure out the wiring (hopefully), do the cutting and soldering and splicing, (not problems down the road there), etc.

Lets hope HE has the knowledge needed. :)

Fact is: the OP asked about the BD kit. I answered.

As ALL businesses survive ONLY by making a profit, I don't resent BD making a bit.

After all they dual sporting the bike a plug and play process that takes an hour instead of spending hours creating lists of parts needed. Shipping and/or driving to NUMEROUS different sources and waiting till they ALL come in. And then hours (maybe many hours if you aren't handy with wiring) installing. ;)

He asked about the BD kit and I answered.

I don't begrudge them making a profit. Keep in mind, I had to pay for shipping on every single item individually. Often, this was 25% of the cost of said item. An additional 25% gross profit is pretty good, IMHO. Yeah, factory matching plugs is nice, but just because it's a factory matching plug doesn't mean there's no chance for failure. You could still have any number of issues that are unrelated to either method and spend hours trying to find the problem.

The cost of a Trail Tech Vapor is $110 at the time I assembled my kit, the competing BD kit for my bike was right around $415, no speedo, tach, mirrors or front brake light switch. I'll be generous and say that shipping is $10 for a total of $425.

As you can see, I spent $354 including shipping to DIY and get mirrors ($21 + 18), Trail Tech Vapor Speedo/Tach ($110) and Brake light switch ($11). So, had I gone BD, I'd have spent $425 + 110 + 21 + 18 + 11 = $560. $560 - 354 = $231. Forgive me for my minor error in my math.

It's a motorcycle, wiring is pretty simple. Is "hours and hours", what's that, four hours? Worth $231? That's more than $50 an hour, I think so. If he doesn't have the knowledge, I bet he knows someone who does and most of the people I know that are reasonably competent at soldering are usually the types of people who are happy to teach someone else. Tell 'em you'll buy a case of beer (-$30, ah heck, $-50! we'll buy him something good.) and he'll be delighted. So that brings his savings under the $200 mark. But I still think it's worth $180 savings to get a better truly complete kit. If you're happy to pay a lot more and get less, knock yourself out.

That's what I'm talkin' about. $335 with mirrors and switches - see, it can be done. Even has a key switch, next DS attempt, I'll give that kit a go.

With the TT speedo it'll still be less than BD.

Edited by Smacaroni