Sign in to follow this  

Old timer's vs. Youngin's

Seems to me like the dirtbike world these days are filled with alot of youngsters who are into them heel clappin', backflippin', stuntin', riding in public roads illegally doing wheelies stuff...... while the old timers, for the most part, prefer the laid back and chill trail/scenery, campfire when night falls with a nice cold one while talking about the good ol' 500cc 2 strokers when it first came out.

I'm curious old timers, have alot change as far the "dirt bike world" goes?  Is today too commercialized and trying to make dirt bikes 'hip' for the new generations?  Because it seems that way to me, what with all that Metal Mulisha, Rock Star, Monster Energy, Red Bull crap.

How was it back then?

Seems to me like the dirtbike world these days are filled with alot of youngsters who are into them heel clappin', backflippin', stuntin', riding in public roads illegally doing wheelies stuff...... while the old timers, for the most part, prefer the laid back and chill trail/scenery, campfire when night falls with a nice cold one while talking about the good ol' 500cc 2 strokers when it first came out.

I'm curious old timers, have alot change as far the "dirt bike world" goes?  Is today too commercialized and trying to make dirt bikes 'hip' for the new generations?  Because it seems that way to me, what with all that Metal Mulisha, Rock Star, Monster Energy, Red Bull crap.

How was it back then?

Well, what's the minimum criteria that constitutes "old timer"? I'm just assessing if I'm qualified to answer...lol.

Maybe for me, being new to dirt bikes and all........ the word "dirt bike" is usually associated with the younger crowd as far as the masses go.  But I'm starting to see that alot of older folks are into it too...... I usually assume that when you get older, you typically give up dirt biking because it's somewhat physicall demanding, and move on to cruisers and such?

Again I'm new and just curious.

Edited by Honda_Power

You're mostly right, but the bikes are better now, helps the riders be better, especially the younger riders.

When you're older, you better understand your limitations, younger you don't understand them until you break some bones. I well know, and also don't heal as fast now. Doesn't mean I don't push it, just know how things can go wrong.

I don't think it's changed from the 18 year old riders perspective over time, WFO.

Mike

Well, what's the minimum criteria that constitutes "old timer"? I'm just assessing if I'm qualified to answer...lol.

Borderline. Probably not quite.

Mike

Maybe for me, being new to dirt bikes and all........ the word "dirt bike" is usually associated with the younger crowd as far as the masses go.  But I'm starting to see that alot of older folks are into it too...... I usually assume that when you get older, you typically give up dirt biking because it's somewhat physicall demanding, and move on to cruisers and such?

Again I'm new and just curious.

I have a street bike also and it's definitely not a cruiser.

Mike

Well to be honest I think there's always been flash and glam surrounding the mx world. The enduro world to me has always seemed more rough around the edges so to speak.

There's no doubt that dirt bikes are more appealing to the younger crowd. I hardly know anyone my age who rides a dirt bike. Most guys my age are either into road bikes like you say, or else quads and side by sides....or they don't ride at all... I ride with my teenage sons, if not for them I would be solo...or riding with guys on utility quads (fun!).

Changes? Hmmm...it was really tough to believe when four strokes first showed up in competition. Oh....and liquid cooling was a pretty cool innovation........ Oh, and the mono shock (I was a little young for that one, but I do remember when it became standard....

I remember forward mounting shocks before you could by bikes that way. I mostly ran with younger guys recently, but when they hit 40, they seem to move on. Not me yet.

Mike

• Like 2

old/young has nothing to do with it.

old had evil kenivell who i consider mentally retarted, was he better than someone like kenny roberts, or someone like bob hannah? or david bailey? um no

are any of these freestyle guys anything near a supercross champion such as mcgrath/carmichael/stewart/villopoto?

uhm no, well talent wise Pistrana is a god, but take a lap with any of the aforementioned names... well it wont be a lap he would get lapped.....

anyways who gives a f about age,

its about being a douche or not a douche.

wannabe / bro / dickheads, vs devoted riders

• Like 3

One word....RESPECT. Don't see it too much in today's world. G

• Like 2

I'm curious old timers, have alot change as far the "dirt bike world" goes? Is today too commercialized and trying to make dirt bikes 'hip' for the new generations? Because it seems that way to me, what with all that Metal Mulisha, Rock Star, Monster Energy, Red Bull crap.

How was it back then?

I think you just set the record for trolling threads in one day by a "new" rider
  • Like 3

Makes it a little hard to take him serious huh?

Don't get me wrong. A good troll can be very entertaining, but these are just weak, and too many.

Must not have made it in Pro

• Like 3

Wow....and I got sucked right in.....hook line and sinker :(

Don't feel bad. I had too much time on my hands yesterday and saw them all.

While you're on the line, I saw your post in "usernames". I always thought it was pronounced "Fat Ones". I just assumed you were a very good rider :lol:

Don't feel bad. I had too much time on my hands yesterday and saw them all.

While you're on the line, I saw your post in "usernames". I always thought it was pronounced "Fat Ones". I just assumed you were a very good rider :lol:

Lol...most people think that's the pronounciation of my user I.D., but it actually has nothing to do with riding, or my weight.  I'm a guitar player as one of my other passions.  At one point in life I was on a crusade to find the coveted thicker sounding tones (or "fat" tones if you will) assosiated with the likes of Stevie Ray Vaughan, Alberta King, Hendrix, etc.....  So the name Fattonz came from that....lol.  I have just stuck with it over the years as a user ID...

I like a good laugh as much as the next guy, but I generally try to make the majority of my posts contributing and constructive...