Sign in to follow this  

Clutch going out?

So this has been happening since i got this bike 3 months ago Its extremely hard to put into neutral. After a ride today i come back home and can notice a noise coming from the clutch and the bike still rolls with the lever pulled in. I adjusted the clutch and still the same i then inspected the clutch and found some "black" marks on the steel plates is this normal? I looked around the forum and could not.find anything to relate to this. Any help would be appreciated thanks

1399958502443.jpg

Seems like problem after problem with this bike and its only got 9k miles -_-

So this has been happening since i got this bike 3 months ago Its extremely hard to put into neutral. After a ride today i come back home and can notice a noise coming from the clutch and the bike still rolls with the lever pulled in. I adjusted the clutch and still the same i then inspected the clutch and found some "black" marks on the steel plates is this normal? I looked around the forum and could not.find anything to relate to this. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Finding Neutral is not really a issue with a worn clutch unless the clutch is very, very worn... but you would be complaining of other issues first if it was that bad.

Yes those wear marks are normal on the steel disks.. you really need to measure then and check for flatness to know if they are worn beyond use. 

Have a look

Clutch Maintenance and Inspection
Started by E.Marquez15 Jun 2008 08:39 AM

Measure and decide.

unless it's hard to change into/out of other gears, it's a clutch adjustment issue. 

a new cable usually is a real eye opener  as they tend to stretch and eventually fray/break with the rider not realizing just how worn out it is. 

make sure you have turned the splined shaft so that all the slack is removed from it before installing the pivot arm (down on the engine case), then get your adjustment at the cable. 

unless it's hard to change into/out of other gears, it's a clutch adjustment issue.

a new cable usually is a real eye opener as they tend to stretch and eventually fray/break with the rider not realizing just how worn out it is.

make sure you have turned the splined shaft so that all the slack is removed from it before installing the pivot arm (down on the engine case), then get your adjustment at the cable.

i honestly think thats what it is. I adjusted it but i think the cable is stetched

Finding Neutral is not really a issue with a worn clutch unless the clutch is very, very worn... but you would be complaining of other issues first if it was that bad.

Yes those wear marks are normal on the steel disks.. you really need to measure then and check for flatness to know if they are worn beyond use.

Have a look Clutch Maintenance and Inspection

Started by E.Marquez, 15 Jun 2008 08:39 AM

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/569655-clutch-maintenance-and-inspection/

Measure and decide.

okay. That thread you wrote i followed it when i was inspecting my clutch. I think i can say chatter i hear is normal clutch operation and my cable.is stretched?

Have a look

Clutch Maintenance and Inspection
Started by E.Marquez, 15 Jun 2008 08:39 AM

Measure and decide.

so i figured it out. somehow my drive plate was not in the correct position which was supposed to first in the stack. i switched it and bolted it back up, adjusted the clutch and BAM! mt clutch makes no noise and it works like brand new now  :ride: