Sign in to follow this  

C/V Carbs, Too much air no good?

I recently Jetted up a notch on my '97 DR 350,  installed a new Supertrapp pipe, but before I bored holes all over my airbox, I decided to run it as is and was quite impressed. I took the side cover off of my airbox to experience a new level of power and it barely ran at all, I had to leave the choke on all the way just to idle. put the cover back on and ran great again. is this due to the fact that it has a C/V carb? Can someone tell me if ANY air box mod will improve power, or will too much air just slow throttle response? I know very little about these C/V carbs other than they rely on vacuum to pull up the needle valve, as opposed to direct cable pull and spring return.

that's my problem, I did re-jet, and upgraded the exhaust, but it's never enough, MORE POWER,. Like I said I took the air box cover off and it barely runs. I'm just leaving well enough alone for now, I did gain a noticeable amount of torque, with the air box left stock but I'm sure, your like me , I just want MORE POWER..... I just wonder if taking the whole side of the box off was too much, or if any mod to the airbox would have the same effect ? I don't want to destroy the box trying to beat a dead horse...Thx for the reply.

3 x 3" is usually all you need for air flow.

That's a cumulative amount, not an additional amount of opening.

Did you adjust the fuel screw?

You can put in a larger pilot with air box open.

No, I did not do that, i'll pair that with a smaller 3X3 opening, finally, something that is making sense to me, thanks for your time and your knowledge, I'm an old school two stroker with a passion for raw speed, wheel spin and power, this high torque thing is a little more complicated to me. Cant just take out the reed blocks, and wind on 'er like the 'ol CRs, KX's, YZ's etc. and I can't afford to buy another used RMX !!