Sign in to follow this  

Graphics

I just got a new bike, and the graphics are pealing already.

They were put on new plastics about two weeks prior to me getting it, it was t ridden since put on but I ride it all weekend and the graphics are peeling from dirt, and me washing it.

If I were to dab super glue on them and relay them onto the plastics they probably wouldn't wanna come off later down the road, so what can I do?

Also the tank graphics peaked off after 2 days if riding, there's a bit of sticker residue left along with some on the swingarm from the previous full sticker, how do I remove the residue?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399958632.808633.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399958657.448021.jpg

I just got a new bike, and the graphics are pealing already.

They were put on new plastics about two weeks prior to me getting it, it was t ridden since put on but I ride it all weekend and the graphics are peeling from dirt, and me washing it.

If I were to dab super glue on them and relay them onto the plastics they probably wouldn't wanna come off later down the road, so what can I do?

Also the tank graphics peaked off after 2 days if riding, there's a bit of sticker residue left along with some on the swingarm from the previous full sticker, how do I remove the residue?attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399958632.808633.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399958657.448021.jpg

well,

heres a lesson in installing graphics,

use scotch bright, or 300-600 grit sand paper to rough up the surface of the plastics,

and ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT ON NEW PLASTICS  when the plastics are molded the molds are coated with a release agent which keeps the plastic from sticking to the mold.  This release agent is...... a NON STICK coating, you think your graphics will stick well? UH NO. you need to spray brake cleaner or my favorite barrymans chemtool b12 on a rag and scrub the crap out of the plastics,

then spray the lightest coat of windex on the adhesive of your graphics. this allows you to move them around a bit. and get all the bubbles out. and then when your done you can use a heat gun to make the adhesive pop and lock down.

• Like 2

well,

heres a lesson in installing graphics,

use scotch bright, or 300-600 grit sand paper to rough up the surface of the plastics,

and ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT ON NEW PLASTICS  when the plastics are molded the molds are coated with a release agent which keeps the plastic from sticking to the mold.  This release agent is...... a NON STICK coating, you think your graphics will stick well? UH NO. you need to spray brake cleaner or my favorite barrymans chemtool b12 on a rag and scrub the crap out of the plastics,

then spray the lightest coat of windex on the adhesive of your graphics. this allows you to move them around a bit. and get all the bubbles out. and then when your done you can use a heat gun to make the adhesive pop and lock down.

Cheers. I've never actually applied a graphics kit. That will be good to know in the future.

:cheers:

Cheers. I've never actually applied a graphics kit. That will be good to know in the future.

:cheers:

Never roughed up new plastics before applying but it makes sense, anyone else concur with Dr Graphic? 

Never roughed up new plastics before applying but it makes sense, anyone else concur with Dr Graphic? 

Yep, I always do it as well... Just a very light scuff with a soft scotch brite pad so that the graphics have something to adhere to. Actually plan on doing it tomorrow with some new graphics and plastics. It REALLY helps at the sharp edges. Windex works wonders as he mentioned as well. The heat gun (or the wifes hair dryer) will also smooth out the light scratches around the graphics as well as bring the shine back out in the plastics and keep in mind that it doesn't take much heat. You can and will melt the graphics and/or plastics.

OP: Goo Gone will take that residue right off. Dab a little on and let it sit for about 30 secs and it will wipe off with a rag. 

• Like 1