Sign in to follow this  

Tire Recommendation

Hey everyone,

riding a stock 2005 CRF230. Still on a stock set of tires from the previous owner, getting pretty worn out.

Can anybody give me a recommendation on some tires for my bike?

Most of the terrain around here is forest service roads, so hard packed rock with patches of smooth and patches of rough loose rock. lots of potholes and hills.

Some examples..

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RSS739MLvpg/TqolR_f1h5I/AAAAAAAAIXQ/XhgioZ9KbMs/s1600/IMG_3318.JPG

http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/regions/eastern/ssrs/originals/5072b.jpg

Oh this is a no brainer for me.  Maxxis IT's.  Those tires wear really well.  Long lasting!  The front has really good traction as most of my braking is up front.  I slam on the brakes and it's awesome on hard packed.  

The rear Maxxis just hooks up too.  Awesome tires.  The only downside of these tires is they are slightly heavier than the next.  The reason is they have a rim saver built in.  Since you're on hard pack, that rim saving might just be a plus you weren't expecting.

I just bought a Dunop MX 51 for the rear.  This is because it was really cheap and I wanted to give it a try.  I've tried some Bridgestones and Pirelli's, but the Maxxis was so much better for my California blue grove hard pack, there was no reason to try anything else.  I'll give the Dunlop MX51 a try, but I don't expect it to work as well as the Maxxis IT.  We'll see.

• Like 1

Bridgestone Gritty ED-11 up front and IRC Volcanduro VE-33 out back.  Al Baker equipped every one of his bikes with this combination and we still use it to this very day.

I looked at the VE-33 s when I was tire shopping.  I think I chose against them because of the width maybe?  Cant remember.  Do you have a pic of your rear on the 230?  I'd like to see how it fits because I read lots of good stuff about the tire.

Edited by Harvo

I looked at the VE-33 s when I was tire shopping.  I think I chose against them because of the width maybe?  Cant remember.  Do you have a pic of your rear on the 230?  I'd like to see how it fits because I read lots of good stuff about the tire.

Below is a picture of the tires we use.  The width is fine, even when using a 110/100, which is shown.  The VE-33 is a six-ply tire designed by Honda and IRC specifically for four strokes.  They are tough as nails and wear great.

0511101801a.jpg

Edited by VortecCPI

I have been happy with the Michelin soft rear and medium front XC tires.  But now that the ground is getting hard the rear is getting squirly and a bit torn up.  Think I'll try the IRCs next.  Thanks for the pic.

How would the IRC's compare to the Maxxis? Its my rear tire I'm going to start replacing.. front doesn't look too bad.

Also, is there a particular size I should be using or is stock size fine?

I have been seriously thinking of trying a trials tire on the rear of my 230.

Always heard positive results except in mud. Don't have any mud here in California right now.

So any thoughts? They all seem much more pricier than normal dirt tires, especially Michelin...

What's the best bang for the buck when choosing a Rear Trials tire?

All comments appreciated.

I have been seriously thinking of trying a trials tire on the rear of my 230.

Always heard positive results except in mud. Don't have any mud here in California right now.

So any thoughts? They all seem much more pricier than normal dirt tires, especially Michelin...

What's the best bang for the buck when choosing a Rear Trials tire?

All comments appreciated.

Bruce Triplett runs trials tires and speaks very highly of them.  The one place they do not work well is in mud because they won't self-clean.  I had a trials rear on my XL125 and it was great, but in mud it turned into a slick.  Bruce is experimenting with cutting off knobs to aid self-cleaning cleaning.

• Like 1

+1 for the Maxxis IT. I've been running a set and just now changed out my rear. I also wanted to try another tire just to see how it performed and went with the Kenda Millville II which I'm also really liking but don't know how long it is going to last since I've only had 1 day on it. Back to the Maxxis tires, they gave me good performance and long life in multiple conditions.

Bruce Triplett runs trials tires and speaks very highly of them.  The one place they do not work well is in mud because they won't self-clean.  I had a trials rear on my XL125 and it was great, but in mud it turned into a slick.  Bruce is experimenting with cutting off knobs to aid self-cleaning cleaning.

Got a D803 lined up to go when the current knobbie wears out. Had an MT43 on my past two strokes and traction was phenomeal. They corner differently but you get used to it quickly. Besides, our little girl bikes aren't breaking tires loose in the apex of every turn anyway (sarcasm, sort of). One huge plus that isn't talked about as much I believe is warranted is the passive suspension effect of the extra inch or so of squish you get from them- they really do take the hit off square edges as much as proper suspension work does.

• Like 1

Got a D803 lined up to go when the current knobbie wears out. Had an MT43 on my past two strokes and traction was phenomeal. They corner differently but you get used to it quickly. Besides, our little girl bikes aren't breaking tires loose in the apex of every turn anyway (sarcasm, sort of). One huge plus that isn't talked about as much I believe is warranted is the passive suspension effect of the extra inch or so of squish you get from them- they really do take the hit off square edges as much as proper suspension work does.

What brand of tire R U Speaking of?

And I forgot to ask what tire pressure to run when using trials tires?

Thanks for the comments?

Guy

Below is a picture of the tires we use.  The width is fine, even when using a 110/100, which is shown.  The VE-33 is a six-ply tire designed by Honda and IRC specifically for four strokes.  They are tough as nails and wear great.

Does the 110/100 fit without any other mods on the 230?

Thanks,