Fine tuning carb for 50hp build

I have a few things I need clarification on.

- To remove or not to remove pilot air jet on fcr39

- How much richer do I need to run if I pull out SSW pipe quiet insert?

I have the 440 kit, fcr 39, stage 2 cams, base gasket mod, mrdssw pipe with quiet insert.

I'm at 700ft above sea level.

Carb is set as it comes from the TT store:

160 main jet

45 pilot jet

EMR needle on clip 3 (or whatever it comes with from the store).

Pilot air jet is STILL IN

Should I remove the PAJ?  I removed it once when I still had my RS-2 and it ran like crap!!  WAY too lean with the 160MJ.  It doesn't make sense to remove this thing at all, because when I put it back in it ran great again.

I seem to be currently running lean on the PJ because I have some slight popping on decel and slightly less than snappy response on 1/4 throttle.

I am thinking I could go with 165 MJ 48 PJ and remove the quiet insert and PAJ.

Do I need to put in the emn needle and/or change clips..?

To remove or not to remove pilot air jet on fcr39.....Remove it

- How much richer do I need to run if I pull out SSW pipe quiet insert?......155 main jet is ok (below 3,000 ft)

EMN Needle , clip 3 is what you want....

Do the O ring mod

Are you sure you didn't remove the Main Air Jet by mistake..?

Okay so what I've noticed is I've been running way rich with the BB kit with my 160 main.  When I pull the throttle past 1/8 or 1/4 some smoke comes out of the exhaust.  I can smell gas, and when I pull the carb out there's smoking coming from the manifold.  Definitely rich.

I think I need to grab a 155 main before I do any of this other stuff.

I did quickly try and remove the PAJ again (I am removing the correct one) and it ran even more rich (???) and I tried the emn needle, It didn't really change much.

I even did the o-ring mod and got my spray going at about 1 second, and it ran even richer still, smoke going all over the place.  I set everything back to the way it was.

I'll be grabbing a 155 main before I do any more adjusting.

Okay so what I've noticed is I've been running way rich with the BB kit with my 160 main.  When I pull the throttle past 1/8 or 1/4 some smoke comes out of the exhaust.  I can smell gas, and when I pull the carb out there's smoking coming from the manifold.  Definitely rich.

I did quickly try and remove the PAJ again (I am removing the correct one) and it ran even more rich (???) and I tried the emn needle, It didn't really change much.

I even did the o-ring mod and got my spray going at about 1 second, and it ran even richer still, smoke going all over the place.  I set everything back to the way it was.

What color is the smoke?

Edited by Wisconsinite762

The pilot air jet is on the left as you look at the back of the carb, main air jet on the right..