Sign in to follow this  

Old Fat Boy going from TE449 to KTM500

Well I have had enough of the Husky TE449. Fancy a 2014 KTM500.

BUT:

Will it suit this Old Fat Boy - 6 foot 100kgs. I will mostly be putting along (at low revs the TE449 was a pain with fueling + always sounds like it was going to spit out a piston).

Will put on a larger tank (extra 5 kgs) + Giant Loop with 2 days worth of stuff (extra 20kgs). So the KTM will be hauling north of 125 kgs.

I am not a speedster and although the DR400 or DR650 would be fine, I just can't fall in love with them. I got the TE449 out of lust but it's been a disappointment (and don't want to do another mod the fix it - rather shoot the damn thing). Love the KTM 500 but will it like me (have not ridden one). Like I said, my riding will be putting along the trails, exploring the bush, and every now an then giving it a squirt. The odd commute to work and may be a longer ride out bush once a year.

Are there any inmates that have had both bikes?

Happy with the extra servicing, and want to leave it stock - except for farkles.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Good move getting rid of the half day husky. :thumbsup: You'll love the KTM.

If farkles = Suspension mods then you'll love it. It will be undersprung for your weight, extra tank capacity and gear. Carry on.

You'll love it! I went from an '06 WR450 to an '09 530-EXC then a 13 500-EXC & straight out of the box they're awesome. I've upgraded the spring to heavier as I'm 6'2" @ 95kg plus gear.

2013 KTM 500-EXC & 2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200

I have not owned a Husky, but the 500 KTM is a great bike! But you will definitely need to stiffen the suspension, I'm about your same weight and after upgrading mine it made a huge difference. Have fun on the new toy!!

I've also never ridden a Husky, but I'm about your size and I have a 450 XCW.  Put some big-boy springs front and rear and you'll be ready to go, this thing hauls me all the way from sea level to 13k feet and it always has plenty of power left over.  

Thanks for all your thoughts on the KTM 500. Sounds like I am heading in the right direction.

Cheers

Steve