Sign in to follow this  

Questions on new rings and cyl head check

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 01 drz400e that still ran , but had a lot of blow by and was getting combustion in the cooling system. I disassembled the top end and everything looks good. The bore is stock size and is clean. Can I just replace the rings without honing or otherwise prepping the bore?

Also, should I have the head checked for warping and is there a shop near upland/ Ontario Ca that is recommended?

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 01 drz400e that still ran , but had a lot of blow by and was getting combustion in the cooling system. I disassembled the top end and everything looks good. The bore is stock size and is clean. Can I just replace the rings without honing or otherwise prepping the bore?

Also, should I have the head checked for warping and is there a shop near upland/ Ontario Ca that is recommended?

Thanks

How many miles on the engine?  When/if you inspected the cylinder bore, was there a noticeable lip at the very top of the cylinder (wear-indicator)?  So long as the cylinder plating is in good condition (not chipped, flaking, gouged, etc…) and dimensionally its good you can run it.  You’d still want to check the piston for wear, its dimensions and cylinder clearance.

As far as cylinder prep, grab a straight-edge, a set of feeler gauges and check for warpage.  I wouldn't hone the cylinder walls per se, just run a medium scotch-brite through it.  Are the original honing marks still visible?  If you really want to, you can use a ball-hone (very quickly) to lightly “prep” the walls.  Then clean the cylinder in hot soapy water and finally wipe the walls with WD-40 and a microfiber towel till the towel comes out clean.

New rings, check end-gap, reinstall and break-in.

If the blow by was getting only to the cooling system it's probably just a blown gasket or maybe the head is warped. The cylinder walls are hard coated, best if you don't hone them, just de-glaze them like m3 said.

If the blow by goes to the crankcase check not just the rings but for piston wear, since the cyl walls are hardened it's the piston that takes most of the wear.

Thanks for the replies, exactly what the local bike shop just told me when I took the head to him for inspection. New rings, new head and base gasket, go back together.

Thanks again for the info

Baldy

• Like 1

If you scrub the cylinder walls with Scotch Brite, be dam sure to clean it real well afterwards to get all the abrasive particles out before reassembly.