Sign in to follow this  

Asterisk vs Evs Knee braces

After taking a nice little crash i banged up my knee a little. Nothing bad. I haven't been wearing any type of knee protection at all so it was only a matter of time. Anyways I'm down to 2 choices. http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/Asterisk-Cyto-Cell-Knee-Braces or http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/EVS-Axis-Sport-Knee-Braces. Which one and does anyone have any recommendations? 

By all means, avoid velcro and elastic bands. I went from the original Asterisk Cell braces to try out the carbon EVS Web braces, and as soon as I put them on, they were already sliding down my leg. I could not get it tight enough to stay without being extremely uncomfortable. Sold them after the first ride. My concentration was broken constantly when I'd have to pull the brace up while riding so I could bend my knee.

I'd suggest the asterisks ultra cell with the BOA strap system. My current older cell has a shoe lace style strap system that stays in place all day.

• Like 1

I can't comment on that. All I know is the EVS was so bulky I had to bust out my old Thor Core pants to get them to fit in the knees.

But your call. My Asterisks are great, and the EVS with velcro/elastic bands were awful.

I have ultracells.  They are a bit bulky but you only notice that when you are putting on and taking off your pants.  Once on I don't notice them.  The BOA system is pretty good, just like snowboarding boots.

• Like 1

The back straps on my asterisk ultra cells tore away from the BOA system after a year (50hrs) of use.

I have just had them sewn onto a piece of leather by an upholstery guy buy not really that impressed with the quality.

In saying that, everything I've had in evs has been crap. (Pressure suit, neck braces)

Nothing wrong with the function of the asterisks but I'll be trying another brand next time.

I just sent my asterisk braces in for repair they fixed everything even put in new padding. Return shippin was free. Some of the best customer service in the business. Keep this in mind before you drop in on expensive braces. The boa system is awesome as well. Bulky, yes but like stated above only notice when your getting dressed. Cheers

you definitely need to try before you buy. i've been using the evs web braces for a few years now with no troubles at all, but unless you try them in the shop you won't know if they slide down your leg, don't fit your pants, feel uncomfortable etc. 

the evs webs ARE big but what i liked was the heavy duty protection that extends a fair way up the leg.... if fallen on them plenty of times and avoided a lot of bruising or worse to the upper legs because the braces took the brunt of the impact.