Sign in to follow this  

ktm 300 rattle sound from ktm when revved.

I've got a 2010 ktm 300 xcw. Bought it about 2 month ago. Has always had like a rattle sound from motor not at idle, only if you rev it. Is this normal on a ktm? If I listen on right, left and front of motor , it sounds loudest from front.??

I have no clue how old the piston is. That's what a friend said "piston slap". It runs fine and lots of power so wasn't sure. Ya I guess i'll check the piston.

Set your boot on the pipe and rev it.....it could be rattling.

Well pulled clutch in. still the same. Put boot on exhaust still the same. I

If it has a metal skid plate, you might just be hearing the sound of the engine reverberating off the skid plate and directed to you.

I just picked up an 04 mod and mine has a rattle as well , I thought it was the exhaust so am interested to hear any other "maybes"

It has a plastic skid plate. I guess im not gonna find anything out till I start tearing motor apart.

Just an observation, may not even be true in all cases...... if the sound can be heard at idle then it goes away with revs, it's inside the engine...rod, piston, etc.  If the sound can't be heard at idle, then it appears with revs, it's outside the engine....loose bolts,.springs, skidplate, exhaust.

Ive heard people complain and others say it was power valve flutter sometimes, dont know just remember the threads

Check your shock preload ring. If the top nut comes loose it will rattle and it is very hard to detect where it's coming from.