Sign in to follow this  

Cheap off road tires

Anybody ever try the artrax sx1 tires for hard to intermediate dirt. They're cheap and I want a cheap tire to practice with. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399992934.042219.jpg

I would be curious myself. I use Kenda Trakmaster. They are resonably priced and work well for me. Are these tires DOT ?

No they are not but I put my bike on a carrier anyways and ride mostly off road

No they are not but I put my bike on a carrier anyways and ride mostly off road

Anybody ever try the artrax sx1 tires for hard to intermediate dirt. They're cheap and I want a cheap tire to practice with. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399992934.042219.jpg

Since you are in the dualsport/adventure section we have to assume you are looking for a DOT tire? If not you have other choices.

But IMHO there are better tires out there and very few of us "practice" in dualsport. The Kenda DOT rubber is as inexpensive as I go, as falling down or having a puncture in a situation that does not merit it, and only because of buying a cheap tire is kind of silly.

For me at least buying cheap tires is a waste of time, as most are cheap for a reason.

If you are only cruising slowly on dry/easy fireroads and never expect to ride out into the wilderness on your own or take on muddy rocky singletrack with those then they may be fine...

But if you have ever been out on a trail on late Sunday afternoon by yourself and get a pinch flat while having pressures up in the 14-16 range, and all you can attribute it to is a crapy tire casing you will know what I mean.. I hate fixing flats in the middle of nowhere....

• Like 1

My kid runs that tire on his CR500.

It does not matter the tire price on that bike - it is hard on them.

That said - it is holding up pretty well - and for the price - 

It is good for that bike.

Of all things, I run a Shinko 244 on the rear of my 650's.

That - with tuBliss, it hooks up quite well.

I use it as a spring,summer, fall tire.

I have had it on for a year and about 5000 miles.

It is holding up well, and when it is dry and dusty - 

almost any tire will do.

I do run TuBliss and I have plugged a few tires.

It is nice, since you don't have to pull the wheel

and pull and patch and/or replace a tube.

I do bring a tube as a back up just in case, and had to use it

once when the tire was torn so long a plug would not seal it.

That was a pain, but in 3 years, and thousands of miles, it has only happened once.

By the way - I take that tire in snow, mud, rocks, etc.

I have ridden trail 6 in Forest Hill with it with no issues at all, and that

included Last Chance, West States and Tevis in the same day.

I bought some

After inspection I decided not to intsall them

The carcas is very thin, and the sidewalls are even thinner.

I would not want to be more that 100 ft from my truck with these tires....

• Like 1

Since you are in the dualsport/adventure section we have to assume you are looking for a DOT tire? If not you have other choices.

But IMHO there are better tires out there and very few of us "practice" in dualsport. The Kenda DOT rubber is as inexpensive as I go, as falling down or having a puncture in a situation that does not merit it, and only because of buying a cheap tire is kind of silly.

For me at least buying cheap tires is a waste of time, as most are cheap for a reason.

If you are only cruising slowly on dry/easy fireroads and never expect to ride out into the wilderness on your own or take on muddy rocky singletrack with those then they may be fine...

But if you have ever been out on a trail on late Sunday afternoon by yourself and get a pinch flat while having pressures up in the 14-16 range, and all you can attribute it to is a crapy tire casing you will know what I mean.. I hate fixing flats in the middle of nowhere....

Noticed "practice DS" also. 606 or MT21 for me. MT21 for my 325 mile ride today. A lot of everything. Not so good on the 15 miles of sand, that might have been the KLR or the operator. But good every where else. I hate fixing flats in general, but especially in the middle of a ride.

Mike

• Like 1

I bought some

After inspection I decided not to intsall them

The carcas is very thin, and the sidewalls are even thinner.

I would not want to be more that 100 ft from my truck with these tires....

I agree - they are thin.

But after a year - still going strong.

And, I have a few new flat spots in my rear rim - and they took the abuse.

I am not selling anyone an any tire - they are just cheap and work well for me