USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Connecticut Directions to get Vermont Street Plates? Need some help

So I have a 2008 KTM 250 XC-W. I recently went to my Connecticut DMV, payed sales tax and got it registered for all terrain use, and got my atv plate. But I still want to get a street plate just in case I go riding in places that require one. So I was talking with some people last night and they told me I can easily get my bike registered by Vermont and they will send me street plates without any hassle. They said it's a really easy process, but I just want to get someones advice on how to go about doing that.

That being said, I have already payed the sales tax in Connecticut, so I don't know where to go from here and what to tell the Vermont DMV to get street plates for my bike. If you have gone through this process or could explain to me how, would be much appreciated. And be detailed, because I'm DMV impaired. :)

Side note: The original title I have is from Florida, and that title states "OHV- not suitable for highway use", not sure if that changes anything.

Thanks

Try calling the VT DMV? Website? In NH all it takes is a Certificate of Origin, a VIN verification, and a letter stating you made the necessary changes to make it legal in NH (mirror, brake and headlight).

Just a note to you, my experience (last month) with VT. DMV is that the loophole that allowed you to register just about any bike is closed. I tried registering my KTM 200. Printed the form off the VT. DMV website, made a copy of my bill of sale, and paid their 6% sales tax. Got a letter back stating I must bring the bike to a VT. state inspection station and have it inspected to prove it is for highway use or modifyied for highway use. Before, you could send the paper work in with a check and get a plate and registration back, no more. I also had a Ma. reg. from the former owner and made a copy and sent that in to show it was on the road in Ma. They didn't care.

Edited by katoom64

I got ya. Yes shortly after creating this thread I gave VT DMV a call and the way he explained it, there was no easy way. It had to be fully converted into a street bike and then brought to VT for inspection, and a bunch more. So Yes, I think my club was talking about the "loophole", but from what you said the loophole is over. I can't afford, nor do I want to throw a bunch of street conversion BS on my bike. Not sure what other options I have.

I got ya. Yes shortly after creating this thread I gave VT DMV a call and the way he explained it, there was no easy way. It had to be fully converted into a street bike and then brought to VT for inspection, and a bunch more. So Yes, I think my club was talking about the "loophole", but from what you said the loophole is over. I can't afford, nor do I want to throw a bunch of street conversion BS on my bike. Not sure what other options I have.

Trade it in on a 350 exc

Before you sell your bike, I hear there are other states out west that can do this as well.  Not sure which one, but keep doing research.