Sign in to follow this  

California Heads up. The Sheet Iron 300 this weekend May 17th and 18th

Just a heads up to anyone planning a ride to Stonyford, upper lake, Pillsbury or cow mountain this weekend

The Sheet Iron 300 dual sport ride with about 500 riders will be riding through.

we'll be running through Stonyford Saturday morning and returning through Stonyford on Sunday afternoon.

also late morning through early afternoon Saturday we will be running through Upper Lake and Pillsbury areas.

Sunday late morning through early afternoon we'll be running through Cow mountain.

Thanks!

Do you know what the route through Cow will be??  I'm riding there on sunday.... 

Sunday is the return trip, don't they usually take a northern loop from Covelo down to MC and back to Stony?

Do you know what the route through Cow will be??  I'm riding there on sunday.... 

The route is usually not specified until the day of the ride..

• Like 1

wonder if the local dop grower are going to bitch like they do every year when the ride is on a county road

You weren't kidding, that was a lot of bikes. Sure wish I had invested in KTM stock a few years ago.....  

Came across a guy on a Blue KTM 950 on trail 07, seemed to be doing ok. I can't even imagine that it was any fun.

Wish I had seen him climb the hill at the big tree that fell a couple of years ago.

we missed you this weekend Hockdog...  fun/mellow ride.   Ossi rode my RM for a few miles, I bet he is searching Craigslist for a 2T to add back into his stable.

• Like 2

Couldn't break free to make the ride Erio, we need to do a repeat ride though, lemme know when. Ossi said you guys tried to kill him, say it ain't so.....

well.... we didn't try to kill him, but we didn't make it easy for him either.  Damn that guy is tough.  Even with his bad knees I couldn't drop him,  the only way to gain any ground was to roost  enough to kick up a huge dust cloud. Then he had to wait for the dust to settle before riding on.  Maybe he's fueled by a camelbak full of Fireball?

Two more things I learned:

- Don't follow Barefoot Bob too closely, That Beta throws some huge rocks. 

- I really like those KTM 350's

Fueled by Fireball, that stuff is EVIL!!

The 350 is a great bike, you need one! CL has a 2012 or 13 with tons of extras up in the foothills, could be yours.....if The Price Is Right!!

there are usually three routes that can be taken through cow mountain. 

one is just the road going through,

and the other two are a mix of trails making their way through cow mountain.  it changes each year. 

the idea is to let tired riders, or big adventure bike riders cruise through on the road, and those who want more punishment on lighter bikes, like 450 or 525 exc's to ride some single track and bounce over rocks and roots. :ride:

What was the total miles of the sheet iron anyway.

it depends on which routes you choose throughout the ride. 

there are easy splits and hard splits, and pavement bailouts that a rider may choose throughout the entire course.  any combination can equal a different length.  usually around 300 miles.  hence the name "sheetiron 300." 

i sweep the hard splits all the way to fort brad and back to the stonyford rodeo grounds, and i usually end up with about 325-340 total miles.

You weren't kidding, that was a lot of bikes. Sure wish I had invested in KTM stock a few years ago.....  

ha ha.  yes there are.  over 500.  we sell out every year in about 2 days.