Sign in to follow this  

Too much oil

What can happen if you run your bike with too much oil?

its a wet dump system, so "too much" oil doesnt matter.

+1.  but i wouldn't ever intentionally go over 2 quarts.   :thumbsup:

ive heard people just dump 2 quarts into their bike for an oil change and call if good, though i stick to 1.8 myself.

• Like 1

+1.  but i wouldn't ever intentionally go over 2 quarts.   :thumbsup:

ive heard people just dump 2 quarts into their bike for an oil change and call if good, though i stick to 1.8 myself.

Was not intentional...had an issue where I leaked some oil but not as much as I thought. Added too much back in but hard to tell how much. Oil is so clean its hard to see on dipstick. Can only be about 1/4 quart high so I guess I won't worry about it. Thanks guys for your quick responses.

• Like 1

Wet dump?????????

It's a dry sump.

• Like 6

This thread made me go Google Dry Sump vs. Wet Sump vs. Wet Dump.

I guess we would all be bashing in oil pans if we had a wet sump system.

And our motors would be way up in our crotch.

Well actually its a dry sump, and too much oil in moderation is not a big deal,, but TOO MUCH oil will cause a mess.

Add 2 quarts or 2 liters at oil change and you're good. 

Sorry guys, had my terminology backwards, but if you fill up your oil WAY too high it will just flow over and get all over the frame/exhaust and make a mess.

I'd imagine if your bike had been sumping and you refilled the reservoir you might blow a seal.

I'd imagine if your bike had been sumping and you refilled the reservoir you might blow a seal

what? sumping?

• Like 1

ahhh strange but interesting never heard such a thing, kinda makes sense knowing are bikes are "dry sumps" to much oil yes will blows crank seals oil pressure will be to high, excessive oil consumption. The you will start ti freak out cause you start rolling out smoke out of your exahust cause you added to much oil. 2 litres sounds good to me haha ^_^

As others said , a little over full is not a problem.....

Excessive oil level will result in oil being directed into the airbox via the oil separator , the engine would just burn it through the combustion chamber....

You would also have oil coming out the air box drain

Sorry guys, had my terminology backwards, but if you fill up your oil WAY too high it will just flow over and get all over the frame/exhaust and make a mess.

I thought your terminology was perfect! Made me chuckle but is also true.

If you over fill by enough... it will take a wet dump, all over your swing arm. :jawdrop:  :lol:

Edited by DrzDick
  • Like 2

Terminology backwards.??......So you meant to say a Dump Wet system.... :facepalm:  :lol:  

BTW...Can anyone recommended a good oil for the mighty DRZ400..... :devil:

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 2

Thanks Mate.........I know your advice is always "spot on"............ :D

Right then, I will use it too.........................

......................clearly, the DRZ in it's stock form is a mere 5 o'clock shadow of the hairy beast it is capable of being!

• Like 1

ahhh strange but interesting never heard such a thing, kinda makes sense knowing are bikes are "dry sumps" to much oil yes will blows crank seals oil pressure will be to high, excessive oil consumption. ^_^

Not on a dry sump motor

Too much oil added simply over fills the oil resivoir, and then that spills out the vent

Still not good but not the issues listed above which might happen on a wet sump type motor

• Like 1