Sign in to follow this  

Yz 250 vs yz250f for harescrambles?

Just like the subject says I would like anyone's opinion on the two for woods racing and just riding on trails in general. I just sold my kx250 and plan on buying the 2013 250f or the 2014 yz 250, (don't like the 2014 yz250f) thanks anyone who puts out there 2 cents!

1998 kx 250

~ride or die~

Just like the subject says I would like anyone's opinion on the two for woods racing and just riding on trails in general. I just sold my kx250 and plan on buying the 2013 250f or the 2014 yz 250, (don't like the 2014 yz250f) thanks anyone who puts out there 2 cents!

1998 kx 250

~ride or die~

I haven't ridden one, but I have seen some guys smoking in the woods on YZs. I love my KTM, but I would love to try a YZ to see what all the fuss is about over that suspension. The woods here in SC are dominated by 2Ts

It's 50/50 here where I ride in nc, I ride mainly mountains and just woods (no track) and there's just 2 strokes and 4 strokes Altho a lot of my friends have made the switch to the 4 stroke so I been thinking about it. I just love the power hit that a 250 2 stroke gives like coming around a corner I usually get the better hand against the 250fs but still I'm considering one

1998 kx 250

~ride or die~

I haven't ridden one, but I have seen some guys smoking in the woods on YZs. I love my KTM, but I would love to try a YZ to see what all the fuss is about over that suspension. The woods here in SC are dominated by 2Ts

I actually much preferred my KTMs in the woods over my YZ. The YZ suspension was good, but I just liked the way the KTMs turn/ handle especially once it gets tighter.

• Like 1

It's 20/50 here where I ride in nc, I ride mainly mountains and just woods (no track) and there's just 2 strokes and 4 strokes Altho a lot of my friends have made the switch to the 4 stroke so I been thinking about it. I just love the power hit that a 250 2 stroke gives like coming around a corner I usually get the better hand against the 250fs but still I'm considering one

1998 kx 250

~ride or die~

yz250 although the yz250fs have more traction and are a tonne easier for climbing up steep hills,gullies,etc.

It's 50/50 here where I ride in nc, I ride mainly mountains and just woods (no track) and there's just 2 strokes and 4 strokes Altho a lot of my friends have made the switch to the 4 stroke so I been thinking about it. I just love the power hit that a 250 2 stroke gives like coming around a corner I usually get the better hand against the 250fs but still I'm considering one

1998 kx 250

~ride or die~

have you ridden a 300?They are actually more mellow than a 250, with gobs of torque. I think they are the ultimate woods machines. A buddy of mine with a YZ250 rode mine, and he had one three weeks later. We were riding at Brushy, in Taylorsville
  • Like 1

Yea I ride at brown mountain, and no I sure haven't rode one they seem pretty decent tho but I'm not really wanting a ktm

1998 kx 250

~ride or die~

I mean I love the 2 stroke but i got wore out yesterday after I rode my neighbors 250 for an hour Altho I haven't rode in about 2 months

1998 kx 250

~ride or die~

Yea I ride at brown mountain, and no I sure haven't rode one they seem pretty decent tho but I'm not really wanting a ktm

1998 kx 250

~ride or die~

I think I would do with the YZ, but I'm pretty biased to the two-stroke. Especially on a more open OHV Trail like that Edited by FUDad

haven't rid a modern yz250f , I have an 01 , and a YZ250. The #1 reason i prefer the smoker is that if you stall that 4-stroke during a hare scrambler, you will be kicking that thing until you are blue in the face to get it re-fired.

• Like 1

my 2006 yz250 is sooo good in the bush, the tighter/muddier it gets the better it is not to mention how good it is at climbing hills, i have a flywheel weight which makes it even better, i can go up the steepest of hills in the midrange dont need powerband will never stall and get good traction, and it will never overheat even when covered in mud and idling.. does use twice the gas though, can only go half as far.

had a 2005 yz250f and struggled in the bush with it overheating, not having enough lowdown power for certain situations. having to rev the crap out of it, feeling heaving in the tight stuff.

the mx track is a different story, but i definitely think the 2S has the advantage in the bush, hence why Erzberg Top 10 are all 2S

Erzberg Rodeo Results

Checkpoint: 20 ZIEL
1Graham Jarvis GBR 52Husaberg EC 300
2Andreas Lettenbichler GER 4Husqvarna WR 300
3Alfredo Gomez Cantero ESP 24Husaberg te 300 2t
4Jonny Walker GBR 3KTM 300EXC
5Ben Hemingway GBR 25Beta RR 300
6Dougie Lampkin GBR 35GasGas EC 300
7Taichi Tanaka JPN 19KTM 300 XCW
8Ivan Cervantes ESP 6KTM 250 EXC
9Alex Van Den Broek NED 40KTM 300cc
10Pierre Pallut FRA 8KTM 300 EXC
11Wade Young RSA 14Husaberg 300TE
12Lee Sampson GBR 60KTM 250
13Dan Hemingway GBR 57Beta 300rr
14Philipp Scholz GER 5KTM EXC 300

Edited by danielt

Well I'm really beating myself up on this but now I'm kinda leaning towards the 2 stroke just cause of the sheer power and fun they are but My kx250 was not the bike to cruise on really which is something I didn't like but as well as something I don't normally do I'm always riding fast and pushing myself. Rebuilds on either one don't scare me, I do my own motor work except bottom ends and I take care of my stuff so that factor doesn't bother me about 4 strokes

1998 kx 250

~ride or die~

I considered a 450 but the costs for the new ones are just to much for me and I'm stuck on getting a new one, I'm hoping il be able to ride a 250f and see if I like it. A friend of mine told me the yz250f he rode had basically the same power as my kx250 but was funner??? But then again he's never came out of second gear on my kx either

1998 kx 250

~ride or die~

i hear the 98 kx250 has really good bottom end but not much topend, next few years of kx kawasaki tried to get the topend back but the 98 has the most bottom-end power.

i suggest riding a yz250 with and without a flywheel weight on a technical track before buying anything.

• Like 1

I just got a yz250 for the woods. I love the power hit on it and there a lot cheaper and easier to maintain. Also my 250f would always overheat in the woods and if you stall it out, you'll be there for a while.

i hear the 98 kx250 has really good bottom end but not much topend, next few years of kx kawasaki tried to get the topend back but the 98 has the most bottom-end power.

i suggest riding a yz250 with and without a flywheel weight on a technical track before buying anything.

I thought about throwing a flywheel weight in mine but after riding it without one I found I'll be better off riding a gear higher than normally.

Yea that's how I was with my kx I never put a fly wheel weight on it I just geared it down, but il be trying out some bikes this weekend hopefully, thanks for everyone who commented on this topic! I really appreciate it

1998 kx 250

~ride or die~

i got sick of stalling down steep muddy hills then the rear locking up sending me sideways into nearly crashing, never did i think the flywheel weight would be so good, even in MX get better starts/more traction