Sign in to follow this  

2008 KX450F rear tire recomendations

I am 47 years old and planning on racing for the first time this year. I just bought the bike about 3 weeks ago. I was wondering what size and brand anyone can recommend for this year and model. Any help would be appreciated. Also, this is the first time4 stroke i have owned. Anything i should maintain regularly?

110 wide Michelin starcross!! I recently put that on to replace my 120 wide Dunlop mx51 and am much happier with the performance

Everyone's gonna have their own opinion on brand but I'd recommend a 110 width just for the handling difference I noticed

You really noticed that much difference? do you race at all? Dunlop is what is on there now, Unfortunately  I don't know squat about tires, so I appreciate the input! thanks!

I just raced MX for the first time at 45. Its a blast. I wouldn't worry too much about the tires. Brake late. Corner fast. Get in some cardio. Lift weights. Stop eating junk. This stuff helps the most.

That's the idea, I have lost about 55lbs. since the first of the year. Almost back to high school weight! My 18 year old son and I are going to take our first gate drop this year. I don't plan on going out with those guys though. Thankfully they have age and skill level appropriate events. Thanks for the advise!

How about anyone else who started MX late in life? I need all the encouragement I can get! I went through a combat tour in Iraq and I think I am more nervous about this!! My skills are not great and I just don't want to look like an idiot out there, LOL!

You can't go wrong with bridgestones. If your dirt is soft (including mud/sand) or prepped, then the 203/204 work great. If your tracks are prepped but then turn into hardpack later in the day, then the 403/404 work well. Once you get more experience you can develop your own preferences but these two combos are well vetted.

Im sure when my skill improves I will be able to get a better idea for what im looking for.