Sign in to follow this  

Troublesome '93 DR650

Hey guys,

A few weeks ago, I picked up a '93 DR650 from a friend who needed some help (nasty separation, bike was left in garage since august, blahblah)...

It's a kickstart that wouldn't fire. Had a dead battery and the carb had fuel in the bowl when i picked it up. I went ahead and cleaned it, though the jets were a little chewed at the top, and the tiny washer that goes in the F/A screw between the spring and washer was bent, so i put one that was almost sized up for it.

Had the wrong plugs in it, too (Champions). Intake valves were super loose, while the exhaust valves were tight. The exhaust is aftermarket, but I think the muffler welds are broken because you can spin the can around... so overall it needs some love...

I've replaced the spark plugs with ones that were gapped properly, adjusted the valves, and cleaned the carb by soaking the jets and doing the "thread a copper wire through the hole and spin" method. I set the F/A 2 out (Stock, IIRC, is 1 1/4) to accommodate the pipe, and tried giving it a few solid kicks. Nothing... not even a pop.

I checked spark- it looked blue, so it's definitely getting it. I used a gauge and i could see it firing

Checked compression. My gauge is a little wonky, so it was only showing 60PSI... but other bikes I have only show up to 60psi so i don't know. It's a crappy Harbor freight gauge.

I noticed if i didn't pull in the decompression lever and gave the kickstart a solid kick, i could spin the engine... is this a sign of any troubles?

I was frustrated by this point and tried starter fluid in one of the spark holes... not even a pop.

It's using an aftermarket Acerbis plastic tank that's manual fed (no vacuum petcock), but im wondering if there's any sort of uncapped air intake somewhere that's causing a lean condition and preventing it from firing.. not likely, but curious anyways. Not at all familiar with this machine...

Kinda losing hope with this-- any pointers on what I should check / try now?

Edited by Cynictis

No advice except buy a KLR. Kidding.

Try dirt bike forum>make/model specific>DR for your bike. More specific and more active too.

The compression might be a problem.

Mike

No advice except buy a KLR. Kidding.

Try dirt bike forum>make/model specific>DR for your bike. More specific and more active too.

The compression might be a problem.

Mike

Already have a KLR-A17 ;) The DR gets to hear all about it as im beating on it with my foot.

• Like 1

I had a 90 DR 650.  60 psi is way low assuming that's correct.  Also you shouldn't be able to kick it without the compression release, so I think compression is low.

If it was running when he put it away, it may be that the rings are just stuck.  You could try to loosen them with WD-40 or remove the head and cylinder.  Which is not all that difficult on that bike.

I had a 90 DR 650.  60 psi is way low assuming that's correct.  Also you shouldn't be able to kick it without the compression release, so I think compression is low.

If it was running when he put it away, it may be that the rings are just stuck.  You could try to loosen them with WD-40 or remove the head and cylinder.  Which is not all that difficult on that bike.

Yeah it's quite easy to kick on it without the compression release. I won't say it's the same, but it's definitely possible. I'm not a very big guy, and i'm able to spin it over quite easy. When I did the valves, it seems like the engine was able to spin easily... hmm.

Really didn't want to tear deeper into the engine, but hey- gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelette i guess.

• Like 1