Sign in to follow this  

Tight Clutch Cable

My son has a new Honda CRF150RB. He rode it once and it ran perfectly. The second time he was riding the clutch started slipping like crazy. It was odd but the cable became extremely tight. It definitely was not like that before his ride as I had heard horror stories about these clutches so I made sure there was slack. I had to back off all of the adjusters all the wayand it just barely gave me any slack. I let him ride it a bit more and it worked ok but it is very odd. .... Any ideas?

On the CRF, it is normal for the free play to go away as the clutch heats up, which is why you need at least 1/4" free play when the clutch is cool.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1085123-2009-clutch-issue/#entry11596538

What is your son's experience? Is he coming from a two-stroke, where clutch-slipping is the way to keep the engine on the pipe? The CRF's broad power band makes this mostly unnecessary. 

He has come off of a 2 stroke however he has adapted very well and has not abused the clutch at all. The adjusters are all the way in to the point and there is still hardly any slack. This is hot or cold. If the clutch were worn I should  be seeing more slack, not less. The basket could not be worn as it is a new bike and like I said my son has not abused the clutch at all. The only thing that I can figure is that something internal has gotten screwed up. Maybe something wedged in somewhere. I don't know. I was just wondering if anybody else has experienced this problem before I tear it apart.

I saw something similar to this a year or so ago, but can't find it right now. Still looking.

Assuming nothing mechanical is wrong, and noting that some others have had this problem, all the way back to the '07, while many do not, there has to be something that explains why it only happens with some bikes (and/or riders). Looking at post #24 and post #26:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/361863-crf150r-clutch-issues/page-2#entry5728278

I was struck by this: "The oil dumps inside the hub and gets slung out of 8 small holes in the hub, then goes out between the clutch plates. The problem w/ this is that ( and here is why cable play is so critical) oil can only travel through when the throwout bearing (the piece on the end of the shaft that pushes the pressure plate outward) is not against the p. plate. It's against the p. plate anytime the lever is pulled in, and therefore blocks oil flow constantly if there is no play."

I'm wondering if your son is covering the clutch with a finger or two, and is blocking the oil flow inadvertently? It wouldn't take much pressure to block the oil flow. You could have him run laps consciously keeping clear of the clutch lever except to start and shift and see what happens.

In any case, wrenchard01 explains how he fixed his clutch problems by strategically drilling holes in the pressure plate and hub.

Another post on drilling holes in clutch:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/889460-discussion-crf150r/#entry9264188

By the way, I run a Rekluse with no clutch problems at all. The Rekluse pressure plate must allow better oil flow.

Edit: Found the post I saw that had to do with a mechanical problem:

Sounds like an isolated case, but you never know.

Edited by Old Plonker