Sign in to follow this  

I know it doesn't have to with intake but I need some help

I posted a topic earlier in general atv discussion and I have no replies so i'm just trying to find the right place to go with this one. I ran my 08 raptor 350 out of oil last year obviously being my retarted self (learned my lesson though). Once I found out the oil was dry I put some more in and started it up which may have been a bad idea, anyways I let it sit for a while but this clanking noise kept going and no one in my family knew what it was so I took it on a little spin. Sure enough I lost compression and that was the end of it. If you have any idea as to what went wrong specifically or any of the things i'm probably going to need in order rebuild it any of your comments would be much appreciated, thanks.

I have an idea. I have an 06 raptor 350 and I think it might be the connecting rod from the crank to the piston. That might explain the clanking and the loss of compression. I would totally do a rebuild on it. Also check the valves while you are at it. 

What sorts of thing should I get to do a rebuild I haven't done one before but im trying to learn.

I would go to your local dealer and have it done. Personally the raptor 350 has an older style engine and you should bring it to  the dealer and watch them do the rebuild. Instead of you trying to do it on your own and mucking up a piece of art.

Yeah I would bring it to the dealer but that's a couple hundred extra bucks I dont have only being 16 and I do have someone that knows a bit more than me and is going to help...also what do you mean by older style engine?

Well thanks for all your help mike. I think im going to fix as much as I can by myself and with a family friend and if it get to the point where the dealer needs to look at it at least ill have the atv stripped down and will have saved some money fixing what I could.

Well thanks again and I didn't think the gasket would cost that much its a pretty cheap part if your replacing It yourself but I could be wrong...and I've only had this quad for a few years so is there any problems I should look for in the future I know yours is only two years older but that could be the issue...the only problem I've had with it so far up until now was that it always took a while to get it started the first time so I think ill clean out the carb more often now.

I would watch out for the tie rods. They seem to be a little fragile. Im upgrading to steel ones so they do not come loose. Keep an eye on the head gasket too. The reason it is so expensive is because of labour costs.