Sign in to follow this  

Need some assistance quick

I was trying to start my bike today and I flooded it. So I tipped it in it's side to get rid of the gas that had flooded it and it all drained out. Then I kicked it over once and it started. My idle is weird I have to fix it and it was idling slow then fast and I didn't like the sounds if that. Then I stopped the bike and looked over at the pipe and it was cherry red right on the curve from the engine to the exhaust. I just had it idling in the garage for like a minuet. I did not drive it around is it because if that it is also not very bright in my garage is that why, does this always happen. I've never noticed it before.

Well I just called someone who knows allot about the bikes and he said the red hot is normal if you arrent driving because the lack if air through the rads but do you know about the non steady idle

Just buy a JD Jetting kit and follow the instructions, or read some of the jetting links in the sticky at the top of the page, and/or the Rick Ramsey website.

Almost any Honda 4T will turn the pipe cherry red during warm up at too fast a speed, those fast idle speeds seems to be lean with no load on the engine so I use a warm up speed as close to idle speed as possible.

Couple of things:

1. Even under normal running, the pipe gets hotter then one would think.

2. In low light conditions, you will more readily see a pipe glow.

3. Certainly if your not moving the engine and the exhaust are hotter than if you are and if you sit there long enough, it will overheat.

4. An engine that is jetted lean will cause the motor to run hotter.

So will all that said, if you don't know if it has been jetted correctly, then you should check that.   A JD kit will get you there easily because it will give you the right parts and the knowledge (if you have these mods, use these jets and settings), but it's also not what some would call cheap (about $80).   Personally I think it's a fair price, but you can do it on your own cheaper.

As we talked about in the other thread, even if you bought a few different sizes of jets, at most your looking to spend $20 - $30 or so in parts (depends on where you buy them).

What you have is a main jet, a needle that is adjustable with a clip, and a slow jet.   There is also a starter jet (used when the choke is "on"), and possibly depending on the make and model, a main air jet and a slow air jet.

For the most part, you will need to only focus on the first three.  Each of those is active at different throttle positions.   The main jet is for WOT, needle and clip position for the mid range, and the slow jet for 0 - 1/8.  There is overlap, so carb tuning is done from the top down; you get the main jet right first, then the needle (size and type) and it's setting (clip position).  Last, you adjust the fuel screw and zero in on the slow jet size.

But as I mentioned in the other thread, the CRF setups are pretty well known and thanks to places like TT, the info is easily available, so you won't have to do a lot of guess work.  

Make sure you read through the FAQ thread at the top of the forum and follow the link to the Jetting FAQ.

Also tell us what (if anything) you've done to your bike (exhaust, cut the air box open, etc) and where you ride (temp and altitude).  I'm sure someone will be able to suggest a setup that will get you in the ball park.

Jim.

I just recently got the bike it has a FMF power core 4 and as far as I know that's the only engine/exhaust mod. I guess I'll just buy the jetting kit. My altitude is ranges 690 and up I mostly don't go up very high in the mountains and my temp ranges allot it could be 5 C to 35C I dont know what that in in fahrenheit.

Well I just called someone who knows allot about the bikes and he said the red hot is normal if you arrent driving because the lack if air through the rads but do you know about the non steady idle

Ummmmm, cherry red for a minute of idling is not normal by any means.  Yes, it will get hotter at idle than while riding, but cherry red aint a good sign.

Stick with what the guys are saying and get the jetting done.