Sign in to follow this  

Hole in case behind kickstart

Anyone ever seen this before?

What would cause this

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400027610.133543.jpg

You won't know if it's mechanical unless you take off the clutch cover and get in there to see if something broke off the shaft. I would also say that something like a rock (if this is the case) hit the kick from the other side and popped out a piece of casing on the other side. You'll have to get in there and inspect the shaft to make sure. My first reaction was maybe the kick came back up too fast, and the shaft "stop" hit hard enough to shatter the casing, but then thought it (the kick shaft) could of been hit from the opposite side. :devil:

This happend to me, the kickstart spring stopper arm broke off and got thrown around and somehow smashed out the back off my caseing, check around for metal shards in your oil and in the gears

It's not my bike, but it's on craigslist for a decent deal. I live fixing up bikes and if I can score it for the right price, I would be more than happy to throw a new case half, kickstart and even a crank/piston if I had too.

So a weak case+broken shifter is most likely the cause then

Kick start stopper must have broke, I guess the case broke when he went to kick over the bike, so if the rear if the motor is sound, I'm lookin at new gaskets, right side case and kickstart mechanism

05, 450f $700

I have all the tools

Including case splitter and crank pulle ect. I can do all the work myself except replacing valves.

I'll probably pass on it I just love rebuilding bikes, and wouldn't mind having a 450 to add to the collection

Bazuka, this exact same thing happened to my bike 2 years ago. I pulled the motor out and welded it. I haven't had a single issue. I beleive that you cannot just put a half case on that bike. The cases are cast together, you would have to buy both cases. Mine is 2004 WR450. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400043662.137037.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400043700.239055.jpg

• Like 2

If you have the broken piece and are able to weld it back like our friend dizzle here I would say go for it

Edited by SupermotoAbuser
  • Like 1