Sign in to follow this  

Yz250f problem

Hi I recently bought a 2009 yz250f, I've been riding it for a couple days and If i ride for over 20 min and I turn off the engine or stall it takes forever or sometimes I have to wait until the engine isn't too hot anymore to get it started I am aware of the hot start and I use it but it doesn't help I'm not sure what to do.

Hi I recently bought a 2009 yz250f, I've been riding it for a couple days and If i ride for over 20 min and I turn off the engine or stall it takes forever or sometimes I have to wait until the engine isn't too hot anymore to get it started I am aware of the hot start and I use it but it doesn't help I'm not sure what to do.

Have you checked the valve clearances?  If you recently bought it, who knows if the guy had ever done that.  That was one of the 1st things I did when I bought my YZ450F used.  I have not experienced hard starting yet due to tight valves, but I was told that is a sign. 

I haven't checked the valves I'm not sure how to either il ask some of my friends to see if they know about it or il have to spend the extra money and bring it to the shop. By any chance could it be a carb problem?

Have you checked the valve clearances? If you recently bought it, who knows if the guy had ever done that. That was one of the 1st things I did when I bought my YZ450F used. I have not experienced hard starting yet due to tight valves, but I was told that is a sign.

I haven't checked the valves I'm not sure how to either il ask some of my friends to see if they know about it or il have to spend the extra money and bring it to the shop. By any chance could it be a carb problem?

It has to be carb or valves.  You should check your valves.. there are youtube videos on how to do that (coupled with getting a service manual) You should probably check valves about every 30 hours or if it is becoming hard to start.  A carb problem won't blow up your motor, valves can.

The tools are pretty standard and if you don't have them, you should buy them.  The only specialty tool (and they aren't very special) is a feeler gauge set; any auto part store sells them for like less than $10.  I'd also recommend one of those telescopic magnet things, and a torque wrench with low torque values.  I'll see what I can come up with to add to this thread. 

It has to be carb or valves. You should check your valves.. there are youtube videos on how to do that (coupled with getting a service manual) You should probably check valves about every 30 hours or if it is becoming hard to start. A carb problem won't blow up your motor, valves can.

The tools are pretty standard and if you don't have them, you should buy them. The only specialty tool (and they aren't very special) is a feeler gauge set; any auto part store sells them for like less than $10. I'd also recommend one of those telescopic magnet things, and a torque wrench with low torque values. I'll see what I can come up with to add to this thread.

Ok thanks il see what I can do tomorrow

I think with valves it's usually the other way around. Hard to start cold but easy hot. Are you keeping your hand off the throttle when you are using the hot start?

It's easier to start when it's cold and yeah i was told about not using the throttle while using hot start

Found a 2008 service manual and the motor is pretty much the same as the 2009.

Manual:

http://www.howtomotorcyclerepair.com/images/Yamaha-YZ250F-Service-Manual-2008.pdf

I'd save that to your hard drive.  Refer to section 4-14.

Tools (besides the standard Metric sockets, extensions (maybe a swivel), ratchet, etc.):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-15Lb-33-Long-Telescopic-Magnet-Pick-up-Tool-Stainless-Steel-/280741878722?pt=US_Hand_Tools&hash=item415d851bc2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Drive-Professional-Torque-Wrench-5-25-NM-4-18-FT-LBS-TE526-/121283572775?pt=Wholesale_Lots&hash=item1c3d107427&vxp=mtr (I think that is the one I bought and it seems decent)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LANG-Tools-3085-Import-Car-Offset-Valve-Tappet-Feeler-Gauge-Set-/301141724962?hash=item461d720f22&item=301141724962&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

Video:

Also, if Valves are tight, you will need to buy pads which aren't too expensive (You will need to do some math to figure out the size)