Sign in to follow this  

How would I hop up the Honda without sacrificing reliability?

I got my 2005 with low miles. Its faster than I need to be logically. But I'm curious what I could easily do (I'm mechanicaaly and reliigously challenged). I have an FM2.

Short answer...send your head to AS racing, have them port and polish the head, replace the valves and install an 02 450r cam. The bike will run the same as before except more power everywhere. Grease your wallet though, good work doesn't come cheap. Having pulled the tigger myself, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Edited by MrRong
  • Like 2

The first thing that should be done (without having to take the motor apart) is jetting, The stock CRF450X is jetted very lean which can cause the motor to run hotter & shorten the engine life in general, The is a few guides around showing how to do the basic jetting, It can be done with the carby on the bike so there is no need to remove the tank etc like some have found out the hard way

What MrRong meant to say is the stock inlet valves are known to wear fast & should be replaced with stainless valves, Perfect time to give the ports a going over as mentioned, AS Racing can certainly sort that out for you, How many miles / hours are on the bike?

Jetting & Uncorking

I got my 2005 with low miles. Its faster than I need to be logically. But I'm curious what I could easily do (I'm mechanicaaly and reliigously challenged). I have an FM2.

What's an FM2?  An FMF Q2?

You can also do some modifications to the Accelorator Pump (AC Pump) on the carb.  You can buy an AC Pump cover for a 2008 450X and put it on your current carb with a Tokyo Mods throttle spring.  That will give you a harder squirt from the AC Pump into the head.  You can pull the Pink wire from the ignition.  The cheapest, and in my opinion most needed, is like the others are saying...get your bike uncorked and then jet it properly for what you have removed/changed.