Sign in to follow this  

ProTaper Evo Handlebars?

I've been looking at getting some ProTaper Evo handlebars for my new to me DRZ400E, so that I don't have a crossbar. I have a few questions though before I get it. I currently have Acerbics hand guards and a Vapor installed on my current stock handlebars. How complicated would it be to transfer all of my controls onto the new 1 1/8 Evo handlebars? Also, if I get the new handlebars, where should I relocate my ignition switch or should I even have to?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks!

I've been looking at getting some ProTaper Evo handlebars for my new to me DRZ400E, so that I don't have a crossbar. I have a few questions though before I get it. I currently have Acerbics hand guards and a Vapor installed on my current stock handlebars. How complicated would it be to transfer all of my controls onto the new 1 1/8 Evo handlebars? Also, if I get the new handlebars, where should I relocate my ignition switch or should I even have to?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks!

Depends on what bike (and yr) you have.  E/S and some early SMs (IIRC) have 7/8" bars (stock).  Later SMs have 1 1/8" bars.  So if your current bars are 7/8" then you need to either get 7/8" to 1 1/8" adapters (like these Tusks among others) or an upper triple clamp (or triple clamp set) for 1 1/8" bars.  First option is cheaper and it'll raise your bars by ~1" and the second is more expense (probably won't raise your bars and could have other features like offset handlebar mounts).

All 1 1/8" bars are 7/8" by the controls, so those (controls/grips) will fit no problem.  Hand guards, depends on where the inner most part mounts to and what you currently have. Generally the mounts are for 7/8" or 1 1/8" bars, there are also triple clamp mounts which take bar size out of the equation.  As far as the Vapor unit, I don't it'll matter unless its somehow mounted to the handlebars.

Finally ignition switch… search the forum, many options.  I made a custom mounting plate so I can also run a 12V power socket (running Pro Taper oversized bars, 7/8" to 1 1/8" adapters, Cycra Pro Bends and their triple clamp mounts).  Picture is old as it shows my previous hand guards (Acerbis with mounts that clamp to inner part of handlebar).

IMG_0670.jpg

Edited by bmwpowere36m3
  • Like 1

Gotcha! I always wondered how the controls fit from 7/8 bars to fat bars. I'll probably get the pro taper adapters since, like you said, they will raise the bars even more. But I noticed you mentioned that the cycra guards bolt to the triple clamps, does that make them more durable than the Acebics, which bolt onto the inner handlebars?

Gotcha! I always wondered how the controls fit from 7/8 bars to fat bars. I'll probably get the pro taper adapters since, like you said, they will raise the bars even more. But I noticed you mentioned that the cycra guards bolt to the triple clamps, does that make them more durable than the Acebics, which bolt onto the inner handlebars?

Triple clamp mounts are stronger and reduce the chances of twisting your hand guards on impact as compared to traditional bar mounts. Cycra isn't the only manufacturer and they are somewhat universal.

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRZ400-TRIPLE-CLAMP-DRZ400S-KLX-400-KLX400-DRZ-400-/360189584822

I bought my triple clamp from this guy. Name is Jim. I talked to him via email and was very good to deal with. He can provide You with spacers which interlock together so they should not move. After our discussion, he recommended 1.5 spacer, which he supplies a 1" and 1/2, so you have the option of switching the spacers in/out to really get the feel you want. He suggested to go with a KTM bar/bend but I went with ProTaper CrMid which I think is close to the Ktm. I am very happy with the quality and his help. I did feel it improved the hadeling, making the steering a bit more lively. However, i am 6'2 and with the 1.5 spacers, Cycra themselves indicated to me that the triple type handguard mouts wont work. So i went with the handlebar mout dispite many people on here will say to go with the triple type mount. I guess it depends on the amount of spacer used. BUT i see on his Ebay page that he is not taking orders till September, not sure what up with that. I do have his email if you want to double check.