Sign in to follow this  

YZ426f Cylinder Head Crack

I bought a 2000 yz426f in decent condition except it had a visible crack in cylinder head and the carb was completely clogged.  I got it cheap $400.. Anyhow the cylinder head only has a crack on the outside of the head, so it runs fine with great compression it just leaks out the crack when it gets hot.  Has anyone tried the low temp aluminum welding rods to repair damaged heads?  Even used cylinder heads are 500 bucks  I would rather go with repairing my current head rather than get a replacement.... if it will work, of course.

How would I get the crack to open enough so the weld would penetrate it?  And, will hitting the head with a torch cause the crack to grow?  I am nervous about taking a torch to an aluminum head. The rods melt a 650F.. what temp does a aluminum head start to melt at.... 1000F..?

I imagine that heating the head up in the oven to 450 or so would be a good idea before hitting it with a torch.  Will doing this cause the head to warp?  Has anyone done this before?

thanks

Mate take it to a trained welder/fabricator. Should be able to slightly gouge crack and fill/weld with a Tig welder. Taking much caution to not over heat and distort. Maybe check/ reface head gasket surface Incase of warpage