Sign in to follow this  

Let's talk skidplates

What are your opinions on skid plates for the 05-up 250 for off road use? I just purchased a cycra MX style that was to good of deal to pass. Thinking of buying a TM Designs full coverage skidplate. What do yall think?

I've used Hyde with good success on WRs.

I currently own an E-Line Carbon one and it's a nice piece but the carbon has got crunched pretty good between the footpegs and it ain't as pretty as when it was new. Took almost no time at all to loose the top layer. Still functional but not recommended IMHO.

If I wasn't able to find a good used one, I'd probably go Enduro Engineering or Moose alumnium. EE make top quality gear.  

My Hyde started to crack near a mounting hole after a year.  I think that TM Designworks will be my next purchase

What are your opinions on skid plates for the 05-up 250 for off road use? I just purchased a cycra MX style that was to good of deal to pass. Thinking of buying a TM Designs full coverage skidplate. What do yall think?

Let's hear about that cycra.  I've seen it on amazon for like $38, but one of the online reviews said it came right off on a cased landing.  Please give us a report after bashing a few things!

I have the Enduro Eng on a 2013 YZ250.

Pros:  it offers good protection. 

Cons:

1.  Has 4 kinda funky clamps that can be a bit of a PITA to install.

2.  I change my oil every 10 hours and the hole for the drain plug isn't big enough.  What happens is at the beginning of the oil change the oil falls through the hole.  Near the end of the oil change the oil misses the hole and lands in the skid plate.  Then you gotta take the skid plate off and clean the oil out.

I took a Dremel to the skid plate and elongated the hole by about 3/4" or so and problem solved.

Which also solved the problem as outlined in # 1 - don't have to take it apart any more.

Yes, I would and will buy this skid plate again.

Edited by SpunBearing

I like my TM full coverage plate. I had to take a dremel to open up the oil drain hole though. It's not positioned right and can easily strip your plug threads while you have a friend do a mid-race oil change out in the woods.

Ask me how I know.

• Like 1

Let's hear about that cycra.  I've seen it on amazon for like $38, but one of the online reviews said it came right off on a cased landing.  Please give us a report after bashing a few things!

sound's like it might be a good idea for any cycra owners to use stainless steel cable ties instead of the plastic mounting strap's for a bit more strength maybe? 

has anyone tried the tm skid plate on a steel frame 250? it only lists it for 06+ but the geomnetry is the same so it should just be square instead of round clamps

What about engine temperature issues (aka overheat) when using a skid plate? sort of urban myth? fact?

From "mud getting trapped and preventing air flow" to "plate preventing air flow" stories, yet never seen a real case first hand in my lifetime.

Has anyone seen this?

sound's like it might be a good idea for any cycra owners to use stainless steel cable ties instead of the plastic mounting strap's for a bit more strength maybe? 

Don't think that's necessary.  I've been running the Cycra MX skid for 2 years without an issue.  Yes, you will snap off a zip-tie, but it is rare.  You use the military strength ones from Home Depot.  I love it, easy on/off.  

I also bought a Hyde, obviously much better coverage, but so much hassle putting it on that I quit using it.  And it's not just the hole for oil changes, it's to clean out all the mud/debris.  

What about engine temperature issues (aka overheat) when using a skid plate? sort of urban myth? fact?

From "mud getting trapped and preventing air flow" to "plate preventing air flow" stories, yet never seen a real case first hand in my lifetime.

Has anyone seen this?

Skidplate wil always make your bike hotter and heavier in wet conditions. 4T is more of a problem than 2T. If you've already got steam coming out of your YZ250, it's going to be worse. If you're borderline overheating, bashplate/skidplate will push you over the edge. When you're not riding in a rocky area, take it off. 2T cases are pretty tough, especially underneath. It goes without saying that you pack foam in there to reduce the mud and heat buildup.

Stay away from carbon fiber. They crack and wear down under long term use. Works Connection make an excellent off road plate. Perfect fit, easy installation and you'll never wear it out! I put an off road plate on my MX bike and I am very happy with it.

1400170464964.jpg

1400170480212.jpg

Just picked this up, fits well.  $75  They also have another one that offers more protection.

20140510_132122_resized.jpg

Edited by DaddyPhatSaks