Sign in to follow this  

So I was at the track on Saturday and snapped a master link. The chain put a good sized chip in the side of the case but no real damage. I am wondering if a case saver is a good idea. Some people I have talked to say it just collects a lot of mud and others say they work good and don't collect mud. Any opinions wanted.

Mine doesn't catch any mud... the chain expels it. Cleaning the little bit of mud that it does collect is much cheaper than replacing the case.

• Like 4

I had the same thing happen to me about 2 weeks ago, I have a Hammerhead case saver and it, well...saved my case haha. It took all the punishment and the case doesn't have a scratch. Well worth the $30.

• Like 2

Mine doesn't catch any mud... the chain expels it. Cleaning the little bit of mud that it does collect is much cheaper than replacing the case.

No doubt , get rid of the case saver and shed some weight  :facepalm:

• Like 2

I won't catch mud at the track, but if you ride offroad, it will catch a combination of mud and leaves, pine needles, etc.  I once had such debris build up so much in a harescramble that it forced past the countershaft seal on a suzuki, ruining the bearing (requiring me to split the cases to fix).

It also depends on the bike.  I run one on my KTM, but a lot of guys don't, because a broken chain can rip the slave cylinder off the cases.  I've never seen this happen in person, but I have seen pictures of such damage posted on KTMtalk.

Regardless of whether you choose to get a case saver or not, probably the most important thing you can do is regularly swap out the master link (i.e., the WEAK link) in your chain.  I've gotten into the habit of buying 2 or 3 extra master links whenever I buy a chain, and just replacing them regularly, even if they look fine.

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 1

Helmet – good or bad?  Don’t need it till you do, but when you do, aren’t you glad it’s there.  Cases feel the same way about the case saver.

• Like 3

Save yourself some money and get a Tusk case saver @ rocky mountain

Those look clean, thanks for the reco however I don't see them listed for 2010 model.

Is this strictly cost savings or are the Tusk savers a better part too?

Edited by uuc328

Those look clean, thanks for the reco however I don't see them listed for 2010 model.

Is this strictly cost savings or are the Tusk savers a better part too?

No. Im sure they are both made from billet aluminum its just that tusk is usually less $$$