Sign in to follow this  

So I am thinking of getting a new bike. Currently I have a ttr-125, but I am out growing it. My friend is getting a KTM 250 (2stroke), so I am wondering about like a yz125 or a rm125 to get. I am 14, around 5'4", and about 125lbs. I know of the powerband in 2strokes from driving my (other) friend's 250 atv. Do you guys think this is TOO big of a jump or do you think I could handle the bike? :thumbsup:  :thumbsdn:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsdn:  :smashpc:  :smashpc:

There will be a huge difference is power and size. The YZ is much bigger.

Current ride: 1986 TRX250R with lots of mods.

Have owned: 1981 ATC250R with lots of mods, 1983 200X, 1986 250SX, 1991 KDX200

Yeah i know there will be a HUGE difference but does anyone know if I could handle the bike or couldn't. All answers are welcome thanks.

You can handle any bike, just depends on your ability to do so.

The next size up is a full sized bike. 250 four strokes have a smoother and more controlled power.

Two strokes have on okay bottom end but a beast mid and top.

Depends on your riding style. See if you can try them both out.

I had a kawasaki ke100 which is a 2stroke but it has about the same power as a ttr125 and I got a cr125 and I thought it was a good step. What are you planning on doing with it?

Right now I'm leaning towards 2strokes because they are lighter and more movable. There are a lot more tracks near me so I will most likely be riding those but I might go to a trail or just ride flat plains.

Like apple's and oranges in comparision but you will be fine jumping from the ttr to the yz.

My friend started on a ttr-125 last year and just got a CR125 now and he's doing fine on it. He's 5'6 and 29 though.

I just moved my soon to be 14 year old son from a TTR125 to a KX250. (See 'Asking too much of my son' thread) there were many opinions, pro and con. All were appreciated. The only thing I did to it was put a fly wheel weight on it (13oz). There is some video of him riding it the second day. Some felt a 125 would have been better. Others thought the 250 wasn't a bad move. He just outgrew theTTR. Because of the fww, he's able to lug it down a little better but still gets the 250s power when he wants it. It's gonna depend on the rider. I've been riding street bikes and 4 wheelers for years. I can't handle his 250. He's glued to it. Good luck, be safe.