Sign in to follow this  

My experience so far using rotella

I just changed my oil and that was right after the track on Saturday. It was the first oil in the transmission so far. Unfortunately when it came out it was silver. Shifting seems not so good cause it's kind of hard to find neutral. I'm changing out the oil again tomorrow and see if it's silver again and I've only ridden it a few times for about 10 minute intervals not riding too hard. I am going to pick up some Honda transmission oil tomorrow from a dealer to see if any difference. If it is silver I'm automatically going to stick with factory oil. I know it's a fresh engine that was dry but I'd rather be safe than sorry. If it looks fine when it comes out I may have another issue.

I just changed my oil and that was right after the track on Saturday. It was the first oil in the transmission so far. Unfortunately when it came out it was silver. Shifting seems not so good cause it's kind of hard to find neutral. I'm changing out the oil again tomorrow and see if it's silver again and I've only ridden it a few times for about 10 minute intervals not riding too hard. I am going to pick up some Honda transmission oil tomorrow from a dealer to see if any difference. If it is silver I'm automatically going to stick with factory oil. I know it's a fresh engine that was dry but I'd rather be safe than sorry. If it looks fine when it comes out I may have another issue.

Is the clutch new?

That is exactly why your oil is silver. It changed the viscosity of the oil and caused it to break down by contaminated it. You should really change your oil after about an hour of ride time with a new clutch because that is when it will shed most of the "excess" material from the fibers.

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 5

Change it a little more frequently for the next couple oil changes to get rid of all that excess material. A magnetic drain plug will also help keep it from circulating through your motor. After a clutch swap I will typically change my oil after each ride for the first 3 rides.

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 2

That is exactly why your oil is silver. It changed the viscosity of the oil and caused it to break down by contaminated it. You should really change your oil after about an hour of ride time with a new clutch because that is when it will shed most of the "excess" material from the fibers.

Change it a little more frequently for the next couple oil changes to get rid of all that excess material. A magnetic drain plug will also help keep it from circulating through your motor. After a clutch swap I will typically change my oil after each ride for the first 3 rides.

thanks for the advice I will do that. I only had about an hour of ride time on that bike (I have an hour meter installed) when I changed it. But will that also cause an issue with finding neutral and making shifting so grabby?

thanks for the advice I will do that. I only had about an hour of ride time on that bike (I have an hour meter installed) when I changed it. But will that also cause an issue with finding neutral and making shifting so grabby?

It may... I'm not really sure what has been done to correct it. If you have not adjusted your cable you def need to start there. The clutch pack is thicker than the worn pack so it will for sure need to be adjusted so make sure you have enough free play in the lever. You should be happy. I cannot find neutral on my RMZ no matter what I do with the engine running. I have to reach down and do it by hand. If the motor is off it will pop in without effort.

So it's nothing about the oil....

It may, it may not... my vote is no, but that is besides the point. The oil being silver after installing a fresh clutch has NOTHING to do with the oil itself. Any oil is going to come out silver after a fresh clutch. Doesn't matter what oil it is. Mine does it every time.

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1

It may... I'm not really sure what has been done to correct it. If you have not adjusted your cable you def need to start there. The clutch pack is thicker than the worn pack so it will for sure need to be adjusted so make sure you have enough free play in the lever. You should be happy. I cannot find neutral on my RMZ no matter what I do with the engine running. I have to reach down and do it by hand. If the motor is off it will pop in without effort.

It may, it may not... my vote is no, but that is besides the point. The oil being silver after installing a fresh clutch has NOTHING to do with the oil itself. Any oil is going to come out silver after a fresh clutch. Doesn't matter what oil it is. Mine does it every time.

I'll just have to give it time and wait. I'm a maintenance-a-holic so I definitely will change it often and see what happens. I have adjusted the cable as well it's new too and lubed.
  • Like 1

Dammit....I looked into this thread to hear a Rotella discussion!  :rant: It's been a while since we've had a good oil thread. :lol:

• Like 2

I'll just have to give it time and wait. I'm a maintenance-a-holic so I definitely will change it often and see what happens. I have adjusted the cable as well it's new too and lubed.

Give it time and stick with it i'm in the same boat . Grey oil . That's with using Honda HP was red  :lol:

lol...that is what I was trying to avoid.

Dammit....I looked into this thread to hear a Rotella discussion! :rant: It's been a while since we've had a good oil thread. :lol:

naw I was just worried about the silver oil I'm not trying to start an oil thread lol. I guess I named it wrong haha.

Dammit....I looked into this thread to hear a Rotella discussion!  :rant: It's been a while since we've had a good oil thread. :lol:

Give it time and stick with it i'm in the same boat . Grey oil . That's with using Honda HP was red  :lol:

How about this: I like Honda HP better than Rotella with my Rekluse :devil:

True story. I think it works better.

• Like 1

How about this: I like Honda HP better than Rotella with my Rekluse :devil:

True story. I think it works better.

Stirring the pot are we lol??? :thumbsup: 

Rekluse recommends Rotella for use with their clutches for a reason.

Just had to respond but I'll leave it alone now lol that's the beauty of living where we do. We are free to use and buy anything we like.

Edited by BDubb106

Rekluse recommends Rotella because it is what they test with and is cheap.  They need to stay consistent with the oil for testing purposes.  They have not and will not tell you it is better than the Honda trans fluid. 

Stirring-a-pot.jpg

By the way...  I use Rotella

Honda HP is reasonably priced and it comes in a container like gear oil. With that feature you can just pour/squeeze in the amount you need without dorking around with a funnel and dripping oil everywhere.

Also, Rotella smells funny.