05 250crfr new head/valves need new buckets?

hey thumper talk. this is my first post. I am new to dirt biking. I just bought a 05 crf250r than ran for about a week and now I cant start it. called a shop that had it on record and said the valves were in need or replacing and the work would cost about 1000 total. well im too broke for that kind of money. I am going to try to do the work myself. I have ordered a new head and valves, seals, springs and gaskets. I did not get new buckets. is this necessary or can I use the old ones. instinct says to buy new but... money issue. with all of these new parts will the valves spec out or is it common to have to shim a new set up? any input would be great.

brandon

Welcome Brandon, sounds like you got it all under control after finding out it needs valves right away.

The buckets should be ok to reuse unless theyre damaged or worn alot.

You will need to recheck all your valve clearances and may need to re shim after all the new parts are assembled in the new head, its likely at least some of the valves have been re adjusted with different shims at one time or another.

• Like 1

Welcome Brandon, sounds like you got it all under control after finding out it needs valves right away.

The buckets should be ok to reuse unless theyre damaged or worn alot.

You will need to recheck all your valve clearances and may need to re shim after all the new parts are assembled in the new head, its likely at least some of the valves have been re adjusted with different shims at one time or another.

thanks bubba. I was not sure about that. I guess its just a good idea to check . would shims be something that the local repair shop ? there really isn't many choices in the town I live. another question is that torque  specs for assembling the head and to use Loctite on everything or not?

Always re check the clearance after you re shim the valves, turn the engine over a couple of times first. 

Any shops that work on crf's should have shims but you'll need to know what size you need.

Owners manual will have torque specs and alot of other good info for when you remove the head. 

To remove and then re install the head you dont need to use any loctite.

cool thanks. I just bought the whole setup. I just have to assemble. never done this before so I join thumper talk to get the lowdown. I did get the Clymer book for my year crf250r bike. I just didn't know if I need to shim the valve at all out the gate because everything is new.exept bucket