So here's to the intake valves.

rangermilitia

Pulled my head off not only to discover my exhaust valves were loosing compression, but the notorious cupped intake valve as well.

Here's a pic or two of one exhaust ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400045973.684121.jpg

What do you guys think.. Bought this bike used, exhaust were always in spec on inspection. And one intake always tight.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400045998.950373.jpg

I think you need new valves and a decent camera..... ?

How many miles on it.....??

So are your saying that it has had a recent top end rebuild by the previous owner..?...Maybe Kibblewhite junk valves and springs were installed....

Kibblewhite junk valves? Did you have bad luck with them?

They have very poor wear rates in a DRZ400.....

Do a search on Kibblewhite valves....

Interesting. I sure am happy the OEM valves are stainless on my Beta. What other offerings are there? I rode a 03 CRF450 with the Kibblewhites and it ran great. I wonder if it's just a poor wear rate on the DRZ, or on all bikes.

haha. when i called around to get prices on getting my head rebuilt, almost everyone wanted to use kibble white valves. they all said they didnt know anything about people having problems with them in their drzs. they didnt offer to find any other valves besides those either. needless to say they didnt get the work..

• Like 1

haha. when i called around to get prices on getting my head rebuilt, almost everyone wanted to use kibble white valves. they all said they didnt know anything about people having problems with them in their drzs. they didnt offer to find any other valves besides those either. needless to say they didnt get the work..

What if they guarantee the work/product?  Fast Heads is well respected, right? I believe they use KW valves.  I just don't understand what is so special about the DRZ and how it is harder on valves... valves that will work on the CRF450, but not DRZ???  Is the valve seat width really narrow on the DRZ and/or cam profile that causes the valves to impact the seats at high velocities.

What if they guarantee the work/product? Fast Heads is well respected, right? I believe they use KW valves. I just don't understand what is so special about the DRZ and how it is harder on valves... valves that will work on the CRF450, but not DRZ??? Is the valve seat width really narrow on the DRZ and/or cam profile that causes the valves to impact the seats at high velocities.

I thought the seat was harder or something. I'm sure they'd find some way to get around the warranty thing by saying I did something wrong with install or say I didn't check the clearances soon enough. I'd rather just trust the other guys that have experience with it. I'm definitely not an expert..

I thought the seat was harder or something. I'm sure they'd find some way to get around the warranty thing by saying I did something wrong with install or say I didn't check the clearances soon enough. I'd rather just trust the other guys that have experience with it. I'm definitely not an expert..

I hear ya

I think you need new valves and a decent camera..... ?

How many miles on it.....??

So are your saying that it has had a recent top end rebuild by the previous owner..?...Maybe Kibblewhite junk valves and springs were installed....

your right the iphone is junk lol but that's a whole different discussion. I think the previous owner did a "quick" rebuild. probably replaced two valves and that's it.. just lapped em in and called it good. no new springs or seals or guides. luckily im not a dummy, and know how to properly build a top end, only problem is im a veteran two stroker. needless to say the thumpers got me stumped, as far as quality rebuild items go. not sure on mileage, since ive owned it, the vapor dash has gone backwards on mileage.... stumped. I think im on the right track now ladies and gentlemen, thanks to all your input. ill keep ya updated on progress. but you will have to deal with Iphone pictures lol

Edited by rangermilitia

What if they guarantee the work/product?  Fast Heads is well respected, right? I believe they use KW valves.  I just don't understand what is so special about the DRZ and how it is harder on valves... valves that will work on the CRF450, but not DRZ???  Is the valve seat width really narrow on the DRZ and/or cam profile that causes the valves to impact the seats at high velocities.

When it's time , fit some KW valves to your DRZ ... let us know how it goes

• Like 1

When you say cupped, do you mean the valve it's tuliped or was the margin beaten off the face . In a proper valve job seats can either be ground with multiple angle stones or cut with a three angle cutter, I personally use stones at my shop as I feel that I can make the seat custom to the valve. Not all valves are machined exactly the same so your theoretical margin will differ between two valves outta the same box. Lapping is some old technology but a good engine builder will lap every single valve he puts in, not to grind a seat but to scratch an impression in both the seat and the valve so he knows exactly what point that valve will be operating at, with stones I then can shift the seat around to do what I want, lower on the margin for extended life and wear or higher razor thin seats to create the largest amount flow possible but sacrificing lifespan (race seat).