USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

1989 yz250 Rebuild/Restoration. Need a bit of help please!

Hi everyone, I have a 1989 yz250 I picked up for cheap a a couple months ago. I am finally starting to get through it and I will post pictures soon! I have one question for anybody who has worked with these before, Will the 1992 yz250 plastics fit on my 89? and where can I find a decent looking decal kit? 

Anyway a bit of history behind the bike, I bought it from a farmer who had it in his barn rotting. He thought it was a 92. Plastics were all falling off, everything was loose.... big dirty diamond is what she is. Upon doing research and pulling the bike apart I realized that it is in fact a 89 not a 92 and also that it is actually the yz250wr (3RB). This was a big shock to me. Anyway, I plan to bring her back to life and I will add pictures soon. 

These are the only two I have on my computer at the moment I will slowly add them ass I progress.

DSCN0206.JPGDSCN0208.JPG

Check the vin & that tell u what u have. & if it has a bracket for a kickstand it's a wr. Defiantly worth restoring but don't go crazy on cosmetics

FYI this is the 4 stroke forum.

Ask this in the 2 stroke forum.

This is the bike specific section for 2t so give the dude a break

• Like 2

This is the bike specific section for 2t so give the dude a break

thanks, I am new to this forum so I am not quite sure what all this means and how to place stuff in the right place, nor do I know what "2t" means. anyway update on the bike is that i have ordered a lot of parts for it that will be added, such as brakes discs, radiators the works, I have done the top end, the bottom end is solid with the exception of the water pump seal... thats next. Sandblasted the frame and painted with a serious tough paint. Trying to find someone who knows a bit about these bikes.

2T is slang for 2 Stroke. Or in this case, 2 Stroke forum.

You must have originally accidently posted this over in the 4T, Fourstroke forum. You wouldn't get much help over there, so the mods (moderators) moved it over here to the 2T forum.

I'm actually in process of restoring a '92 YZ250. Only thing I have left is fixing an air leak. My plastics were pretty shot, so I looked up how to paint them on a YouTube video. There's a science behind it, but basically I did what was on the video, went to Auto Zone, grabbed plastics paint primer, then some blue and white and painted all the plastics. Yes, they will get scratches over time, but so far after a year my gas tank paint has not peeled off.

As for everything else, the bike my friend gave me was a complete basket case. It would not even start. I literally tore down and cleaned every single component on it, with exception to the front forks and splitting the cases. Thankfully I have an awesome bike shop close by that gave me pointers and looked over any parts I had questions about.

A list of things I can thinkbof that I did: replaced water pump seal, replaced radiators, rebuilt rear shock, sand blasted the frame and painted satin black, new tires, new wheel bearings, replaced rad hoses, honed the cast iron cylinder, rebuilt top end, cleaned swing arm bearings, replaced/restored old/missing bolts, just to name a few.

Your bike looks in much better shape than mine when I first got it. You'll learn tons about 2T's going through this project. Just don't quit and have patience for it. It's super rewarding to enioy your handiwork in the end. Keep this thread alive, Saskyguy. Resto projects are awesome to see.

• Like 1

I'm actually in process of restoring a '92 YZ250. Only thing I have left is fixing an air leak. My plastics were pretty shot, so I looked up how to paint them on a YouTube video. There's a science behind it, but basically I did what was on the video, went to Auto Zone, grabbed plastics paint primer, then some blue and white and painted all the plastics. Yes, they will get scratches over time, but so far after a year my gas tank paint has not peeled off.

As for everything else, the bike my friend gave me was a complete basket case. It would not even start. I literally tore down and cleaned every single component on it, with exception to the front forks and splitting the cases. Thankfully I have an awesome bike shop close by that gave me pointers and looked over any parts I had questions about.

A list of things I can thinkbof that I did: replaced water pump seal, replaced radiators, rebuilt rear shock, sand blasted the frame and painted satin black, new tires, new wheel bearings, replaced rad hoses, honed the cast iron cylinder, rebuilt top end, cleaned swing arm bearings, replaced/restored old/missing bolts, just to name a few.

Your bike looks in much better shape than mine when I first got it. You'll learn tons about 2T's going through this project. Just don't quit and have patience for it. It's super rewarding to enioy your handiwork in the end. Keep this thread alive, Saskyguy. Resto projects are awesome to see.

Thank you for the response, sounds like you are doing exactly what im doing, im going as far as splitting the case... everything is good so far. ive already sandblasted the frame, painted it, polished all the suspension linkages and swingarm. ive done the topend and now am having the bottom end inspected. im doing her ground up. Ive restored a bunch of kawasaki stand up jetskis but I figured id like a dirtbike again so I thought I would try a yammy. I will forsure keep the thread going! thanks

Here is a progress picture, motor will be added soon

Good on you,,,,, progress look's promising.

Nice job so far! Is that a polished swingarm?

Thank you!! and I polished it using a die grinder with a fitted buffer pad and wire brush. I polished the suspension linkages aswell!