Sign in to follow this  

Anyone have some spare 2005 yz250 springs?

Got a 2005 yz250 with too stiff of springs. They are .48 and 5.5 and I'm only 165 pounds. Looking for something close to stock. Does anyone have some laying around, could trade my stiff ones...

I have a stock rear spring and front and rear from a 125. The 125 stuff was on my bike when I got it. All 2005.

Thanks for the replys guys. Kawikx450 is going to hook me up with some stock springs!

Question regarding swapping out the springs though. I have no clue how the suspension is valved. It could be valved for woods, mx I dont know. If its valved for the current springs, how will it be when I put the correct springs for my wieght and ability in it? Im not looking for perfection, just something to get me by until I can get them revalved, or till I switch to SSS Suspension.

Heres a pic of the current suspension sticker on it. I contacted the company, but without the owners name they cant tell me anything about it really...

CCC3524A-D5F7-4F02-BC27-733D7A341203.jpg

If you are willing to tear it all down I have stock valving specs. With stiffer springs typically comes stiffer rebound valving. You may want to pull some shims. Compression will depend a lot on what it's setup for.

I'll post valving stuff when I got on the computer, plus some of the 2005 fork fixes that really make it much better.

• Like 1

2005YZ250StockStacks_zps324d64e3.jpg

2005 fork problems

Free piston is known to crack (same as SSS forks).  Luckily DaveJ of Smart Performance Inc gave us a great write up on drilling it for longevity. 

http://www.smartperformanceinc.com/YZMODASSEM.htm

image014.jpg

Also, the internal compression springs that act on those free pistons are too short. All assembled there's about 8mm of slop in there, and many find a more consistant fork feel by adding spacers. 

And finally, the main springs are short as well. General tuning practice it to run ~5mm of preload on the fork springs, but on the 2005 forks there is about 3-5 mm of slop. You can hear the springs rattle around if you have the forks off the bike and shake the assembly. I went back and forth with leaving them loose or adding a 7mm spacer, I can't say I felt a real difference. I will say when I lowered the bike I cut the fork seats to add that 7mm and was perfectly happy with it.