Sign in to follow this  

2009 Kx250f PROBLEMS!

Hey everyone having a hard time figuring out what's wrong with my bike. Though id ask around on here after searching the internet for weeks. So anyways a little background info, the bike is a 2009 kawi kx250f. Bought it with the top end apart because it needed new piston and rings. So, i got the new piston and rings i went with Pro x (if that matters) and while the top end was still apart i went ahead and re-seated the valves and cleaned them up to get the carbon off of them. Well, bike is all back together and i go to start it, it runs with choke on but as soon as the choke is let off it will idle for 2 seconds then die. Now it wont start anymore it will sputter as if it wants to start. Has spark, its getting fuel, good compression (again new top end) my timing is 100% on the money. Out of the 2 marks that are right next to each other, the second little mark on the crank on the left side of the engine is lined up (if going counter clockwise) and the cams are lined up as well. Exhaust cam dots are perfect. Side dot on the Exhaust cam gear is at 9 o'clock and top dot it at 12 o'clock. Intake cam is 12 o'clock for the top dot and 3 o'clock for the side dot. I counted 28 pins as well. Did a leakdown test and the results were perfect. I know you cant really do a compression test on these bikes because of the auto-decompress so i knocked that off the list. Also i took the carb off probably 5 times and took it completely apart and cleaned everything. No clogged jets or anything of that sort. Checked all the jets in the carb and they are stock. The needle position is stock as well. Can anyone provide me with stock settings for the carb to adjust it so i can get a good starting point? I am completely stumped on what it could be. Could my timing be off somehow?? after the first time i got it running(when it wouldn't run right) i thought that my timing could of been off a tooth so i tried to re-time it and now it wont start just sputters. My timing right now is what i listed above. Can someone explain the correct procedure to time it, and also this may sound like a stupid question but it has to be TDC on Compression stroke when you time it correct? My thoughts are that it has something to do with the carb but who knows. This bike is a mystery!!

Any advice is much appreciated, also thanks in advanced!!

Maybe you have a fouled plug.  Put a new one in and see how it goes.

Play with the idle screw, seems like maybe your pilot jet is too rich.

Edited by Honda_Power

Its getting spark and also i put a new plug in when i did the top end. Stock carb jets as metioned so i dont think that would be the problem. But what i was thinking is, when the choke is out it always more fuel and the bike will run with the choke out (well did) but anyways when the choke is in it dies as if its not getting enough fuel. Now the hotstart is missing on the bike could that be the problem? the whole hostart assembly isnt on (didnt come with the bike) its just an open hole in the carb.

Stock carb, it was missing the hotstart plunger and spring when i got it. I have the cable for it. I heard of people plugging up the hotstart hole? any input on that and if so how should i go about doing that?