Tire question

I have a 100% stock 07 yz250f, and the rear tire is finally had enough. Anyway, I need recommendations on what tire to get. I ride a lot on all surfaces; sand, hard dirt, soft dirt, woods, mud , rocks, everything. I also would like to know what all the numbers mean when buying a tire, for example, I was looking at this tire here..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxxis-Maxxcross-Desert-IT-M7305D-Rear-Tire-100-90-19-TM87921000-68-2190-/231052145185?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AYZ250F&hash=item35cbc7f221&vxp=mtr

what do all the numbers in the title mean?

Thanks ahead of time

I have a 100% stock 07 yz250f, and the rear tire is finally had enough. Anyway, I need recommendations on what tire to get. I ride a lot on all surfaces; sand, hard dirt, soft dirt, woods, mud , rocks, everything. I also would like to know what all the numbers mean when buying a tire, for example, I was looking at this tire here..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxxis-Maxxcross-Desert-IT-M7305D-Rear-Tire-100-90-19-TM87921000-68-2190-/231052145185?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AYZ250F&hash=item35cbc7f221&vxp=mtr

what do all the numbers in the title mean?

Thanks ahead of time

100/90-19 those are the dimensions. 100 is the height, from rim to outside of tire. 90 is the width of the tire and 19 is the wheel size. I believe those measurements are in millimeters. Also, from everything I have read that most likely is not the tire you want.

Edited by 01ktm300exc

100/90-19 those are the dimensions. 100 is the height, from rim to outside of tire. 90 is the width of the tire and 19 is the wheel size. I believe those measurements are in millimeters. Also, from everything I have read that most likely is not the tire you want.

That's wrong, 100 is the width, 90 is the height from wheel to top of tire, and 19 is wheel diameter.

And for your riding conditions I recommend Dunlop MX71 or the Dunlop AT81 RC

If you get he AT81 make sure it's the RC version, which is the desert tire. However they don't have your stock size of 100/90-19, the size you will have to run is a 110/90-19, which changes the overall diameter of the tire by .66 inches, which affects your top speed by + .35 mph or about 1/3 of a mph. Nothing you would ever notice that's why it's safe to change the tire size to that. Only reason I can express all of this is because I have the exact same bike and I put the 81RC on it and had to change the tire size to that; I did all the math for rotation ect and it works out perfectly safe and okay to instal. I had the mx71 on before the 81RC and it worked fantastic, just the 81 is a little more durable for my desert rides from apple valley to Las Vegas.

And the tire size numbers are in millimeters except for the last number which is inches. The second number means percentage. So 90% of your 100 millimeter width is your sidewall. Your sidewall comes to: 3.543 inches (90 millimeters) and if you change the tire size like I did to a 110/90-19 then your new equation is 90% of 110 millimeters is your sidewall of 3.87 inches (99 millimeters). Sorry for the novel but hope this helps and no offense to the guy above me, just wanted to make sure you get the correct information.

Have a good one and good luck!ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400086692.929262.jpg

{Only The Best}

OH sorry I misunderstood what you said. Okay so the diameter of a 110/90 - 19 is .66in bigger than the 100/90-19. So it would make the bike .33 in taller in the rear.....

Okay so if I want a tire that is the exact same diameter but wider width what should I get? Thanks

OH sorry I misunderstood what you said. Okay so the diameter of a 110/90 - 19 is .66in bigger than the 100/90-19. So it would make the bike .33 in taller in the rear.....

Okay so if I want a tire that is the exact same diameter but wider width what should I get? Thanks

No no, the bike will go up about .66 inches in rear and you'll gain about .35 a mile per hour at top speed

But .35 of a mile per hour is un noticeable by the human.

And you can't get a tire that's the same diameter but wider. If you change the width it changes the over all diameter because now your math has an extra 10 millimeters in the width. You don't need to go wider, going wider gives you better traction at high rate of speeds because of the wider displacement the tire has touching the dirt. However changing the width changes the overall diameter.

{Only The Best}

Let me apologize in advance, but I have to say this or I won't be able to sleep tonight.

Original tire on an 07? Wouldn't it just be cheaper to replace the rope they pull you up the hill with?

lmao yeah it sucks pretty bad. So fro what I'm getting here I should stick with a 100/90-19 if I want the same size tire? That .66 inches would bug me, I'm particular like that

Oh boy……. 

Metric sizing.  100/90-19    100 is the millimeter width of the tire.  90 is an aspect ratio, which means the tires sidewall height is 90% the width.  19” is the rim size the tire is designed to fit.

So, if you want a metric tire for a 19” rim that is the same 100 mm width but lower in sidewall height you need a 100/80-19 tire.

If you want a metric tire for a 19” rim that is the same 100 mm width but higher in sidewall height you need a 100/100-19 tire.

Lower aspect ratios mean smaller overall tire height for equal width.  All it takes is little math.

Got it?

lmao yeah it sucks pretty bad. So fro what I'm getting here I should stick with a 100/90-19 if I want the same size tire? That .66 inches would bug me, I'm particular like that

if you ride in sand that .66" will help you, a lot

Oh boy…….

Metric sizing. 100/90-19 100 is the millimeter width of the tire. 90 is an aspect ratio, which means the tires sidewall height is 90% the width. 19” is the rim size the tire is designed to fit.

So, if you want a metric tire for a 19” rim that is the same 100 mm width but lower in sidewall height you need a 100/80-19 tire.

If you want a metric tire for a 19” rim that is the same 100 mm width but higher in sidewall height you need a 100/100-19 tire.

Lower aspect ratios mean smaller overall tire height for equal width. All it takes is little math.

Got it?

You wrote exactly what I wrote in all those messages. I did the math for him. You didn't need to write "oh boy" or write what I wrote in your message.

And it's .66 not 66, and yes that .66 in sand will give you more rotational distance.

{Only The Best}

Okay now my question is this: what is the best tire that has a really aggressive tread?  I want something that has a ton of bite in soft stuff. I don't ride on pavement much so that's not an issue.

Those ones that were posted earlier didn't look aggressive enough for what I'm looking for

That's wrong, 100 is the width, 90 is the height from wheel to top of tire, and 19 is wheel diameter.

And for your riding conditions I recommend Dunlop MX71 or the Dunlop AT81 RC

If you get he AT81 make sure it's the RC version, which is the desert tire. However they don't have your stock size of 100/90-19, the size you will have to run is a 110/90-19, which changes the overall diameter of the tire by .66 inches, which affects your top speed by + .35 mph or about 1/3 of a mph. Nothing you would ever notice that's why it's safe to change the tire size to that. Only reason I can express all of this is because I have the exact same bike and I put the 81RC on it and had to change the tire size to that; I did all the math for rotation ect and it works out perfectly safe and okay to instal. I had the mx71 on before the 81RC and it worked fantastic, just the 81 is a little more durable for my desert rides from apple valley to Las Vegas.

And the tire size numbers are in millimeters except for the last number which is inches. The second number means percentage. So 90% of your 100 millimeter width is your sidewall. Your sidewall comes to: 3.543 inches (90 millimeters) and if you change the tire size like I did to a 110/90-19 then your new equation is 90% of 110 millimeters is your sidewall of 3.87 inches (99 millimeters). Sorry for the novel but hope this helps and no offense to the guy above me, just wanted to make sure you get the correct information.

Have a good one and good luck!📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400086692.929262.jpg

{Only The Best}

Oh crap your right, thats what I meant. Thanks for picking that up.

Edited by 01ktm300exc

Okay now my question is this: what is the best tire that has a really aggressive tread? I want something that has a ton of bite in soft stuff. I don't ride on pavement much so that's not an issue.

Those ones that were posted earlier didn't look aggressive enough for what I'm looking for

Well, you're kinda in a rut. You want a soft tire, but aggressive. Any soft tire will get eaten alive once you get into desert with rocks. Any rocks big or small. The mx52 from dunlop is an aggressive tire, on the track though. It's soft yet aggressive but if you went into some tough terrain it will be eaten up. Also look at the D952 from dunlop. It's an intermediate to hard terrain but a soft compound that gets chewed slowly by rocks but is good in softer stuff. It's an all around good intermediate tire but doesn't last the length of the hard compounds. What riding are you gonna be doing mostly? Because your first description was everything, which would fall under an mx71, however you say you want a soft tire. I can also guarantee you a soft tire will not last year 7 years like you did now ?

{Only The Best}

Oh crap your right, thats what I meant. Thanks for picking that up.

No problem man ?

Didn't try to come off rude, sorry if I did!

{Only The Best}

One thing not mentioned yet about tire selection is the benefit of having a taller tire.  Something I like about a taller tire is the protection if gives your rims when riding in rocky area which is pretty much 90% of where we ride in Cali.  If you're not in the mud much, you can consider a Parelli trials tire which really aggressive in the hard, and packed stuff……even in some soft it's not that bad if you crank your steering damper a bit to keep you going straight at higher speeds.    I also agree on the MX71 and it's a great tire for softer stuff, but honestly the trials tire traction is unreal. I can tell you that most of my buddies are running trials Parelli and they love it.

Oh and thanks for the tire number explanation…..I found that very cool.

Alright thanks guys

UR welcome... anytime

One more little tid bit of info while you are looking at tires.  On the sidewall of the tire will be a two digit number followed by a letter, like 62M or 51M.

The two digit number is a load rating and the letter is a speed rating.  It’s a really really good idea to put a front and back tire on the bike with the same speed rating and enough load rating to carry the weight of you, the bike, and your gear regardless of tread pattern.

For the most part a higher load rating means the tire can carry more weight.

Speed rating is how fast the tire is designed to travel down the road.  Most dirt bike tires are rated M for 81MPH.  Most dual sport tires are rated S for 112MPH.

Good luck.  Hundreds of tires, there is one for you!!